Chipper Cash is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
As an engineer on the Money Movement Team, you will be responsible for abstracting out all the complexities of moving money globally. Specifically - working with multiple different currencies, integrating with multiple different payment methods with dozens of banks, aggregators, telcos, liquidity providers with the end goal of abstracting this complexity away from other internal services and Network API end users.
What You Will Be Doing
- Be an Owner: Own technical management of the Chipper Money Movement Infrastructure
- Work with a wide range of systems and teams to deliver a solid foundation for our global payment method integrations
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Chipper's engineering teams
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes across the company
- Building highly-available, scalable systems on top of which multiple teams can build novel payment methods with ease
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Collaborate with our users and financial partners on a regular basis
- Build reliable, failsafe systems with automated monitoring and alerting
- Ensure data quality and completeness of transaction records
- Think critically about how to best scale the infrastructure to serve the next 100m+ users on the platform
- Enable better observability and reliability for a variety of third-party integrations
- Enable Chipper to launch in completely new markets or payment methods to reach customers around the world
What You Should Have
- Passion for designing systems that are elegant abstractions over complex financial industry patterns/practices.
- Limitless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguity and collaboratively
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work
Great to have:
- Managing Node.js backend services at scale
- Payment / finance focused technology
- Working with event driven microservices
About Our Tech Stack
- Node.js + Typescript service-based architecture
- React Native Android/iOS application
- PostgreSQL application databases
- RabbitMQ for inter-server communication
- Server hosting on Heroku and Google Cloud Platform
- Fully automated CI/CD using Heroku CI and Github
- Application monitoring with Datadog, Logz.io, and Amplitude
- Snowflake for data warehousing and analysis
- Python for in-depth data analysis, transformation, and reporting
If you feel you are a fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If there are any accommodations that we can provide during the interview process that help you to be confident and do your best work, don’t hesitate to let us know.