Chipper Cash was founded in 2018 by Ham Serunjogi and Maijid Moujaled, with the aim to “chip away” at the problem of inaccessible financial services, a high population of underbanked consumers, reliance on cash for daily commerce and the difficulty of cross border transactions. Today, Chipper Cash is connecting more than one million people in Africa, one transaction at a time with an easy-to-use mobile app that makes money transfers fast, secure and free. Whether it’s sending money home to support your family, running a cross-border business or paying local expenses, Chipper Cash saves time, saves money, and opens up new opportunities for Africans everywhere.
With plans for rapid expansion, the Chipper Cash mobile app is currently available to consumers and businesses in eight countries, including Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria, UK and South Africa. Headquartered in San Francisco, California with offices across the globe, Chipper Cash delivers fair financial services that make the lives of millions of Africans better in a small way, every day. Chipper’s mission is to unlock global opportunities and bring Africa together, one transaction at a time. Come join us.
Our Customer Support (CS) team is at the heart of Chipper, as it is the first point of contact with our customers and the one who knows most intimately the struggles and hopes of customers. Most important is the team’s ability to respond to customers with empathy and work alongside customers to solve their problems. The CS team also works closely with the Legal & Compliance, Product, and Marketing teams. It’s about much more than resolving tickets. It’s about helping us also find solutions that will prevent customers from having problems in the first place and help us deliver on the promise of Chipper working like magic.
As Chipper expands to offer more financial services as products such as Cryptocurrency, US stocks and Virtual Cards to the African market, we are looking for a lead to oversee the team and grow with us as we unlock services to more customers.
What You Will Be Doing
- Overseeing a growing team of Customer Operation analysts and be a point of contact and escalation for customer issues working alongside our Product Operations team.
- Providing customer support to the best of your ability by talking directly and honestly with our customers to deliver a great user experience with emphasis on key features such as Cryptocurrency and US stocks.
- Communicating with our customers through a variety of different mediums whether that be through calls, social media platforms, email or in-app chat.
- Proactively identifying patterns in the user frustrations and expectations of customers, seeing where we can change our processes, tools or product to make their lives easier.
- Working with other team leads within Customer Operations as well as the QA Manager and Training manager to drive best practise and deliver quality service
- Working with the Compliance team to act as the first line of defence to help spot and investigate trends.
- Working with the Communications lead to ensure customer service updates related to service downtime and product information is accurate.
- Responsible for understanding, prioritising and escalating our customers’ feedback and feature requests to the product teams and wider business.
- Overseeing the day-to-day management of the team including conducting weekly 1:1s to mentor and develop the team.
- Assisting with co-ordinating team schedules to ensure the team are able to meet SLAs during operational hours
What You Should Have
- You have a minimum of 2-3 years in a customer service team lead or manager role directly managing staff, ideally within financial services or other digital products
- You have a working knowledge and understanding of financial products such as Cryptocurrency and US Stocks
- You have strong written English communication skills
- You have experience handling customer inquiries via email, chat or other written communications
- You are self-driven. You should be self-motivated and enjoy a lot of independence. We’re a dedicated, hardworking team that is collectively motivated
- You have a global mindset and be tolerant of others. We're still growing but we are a company of many cultures and backgrounds
- You are comfortable with asynchronous conversations and an understanding of your coworkers roles
- You are open to working some nights and weekends on a rotating basis
If you feel you are a fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If there are any accommodations that we can provide during the interview process that help you to be confident and do your best work, don’t hesitate to let us know.