This position supports the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO), who develops and provides oversight of AML/CFT and Sanctions risk management, under reporting to the General Counsel leading Legal and Compliance for Chipper Cash. The incumbent will functionally report to the Head of Compliance for Africa.
Are you someone who wants to keep criminals from abusing people and the financial system? Do you enjoy solving mysteries? Can you maintain objectivity and independence?
We are looking for someone like you who can conduct forensic financial investigations of clients or potential clients presenting possible compliance, reputational and regulatory risks to Chipper Cash. These risks might include money laundering, fraud/identity theft, terrorist financing, sanctions violations, among others.
Who we are
Chipper Cash was founded in 2018 by Ham Serunjogi and Maijid Moujaled, with the aim to “chip away” at the problem of inaccessible financial services, a high population of underbanked consumers, reliance on cash for daily commerce and the difficulty of cross-border transactions. Today, Chipper Cash is connecting more than one million people in Africa, one transaction at a time with an easy-to-use mobile app that makes money transfers fast, secure and free. Whether it’s sending money home to support your family, running a cross-border business or paying local expenses, Chipper Cash saves time, saves money, and opens up new opportunities for Africans everywhere.
With plans for rapid expansion, the Chipper Cash mobile app is currently available to consumers and businesses in seven countries, including Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Nigeria and South Africa. Headquartered in San Francisco, California with offices across the globe, Chipper Cash delivers fair financial services that make the lives of millions of Africans better in a small way, every day. Chipper’s mission is to unlock global opportunities and bring Africa together, one transaction at a time. Come join us. For more information, please visit our website: www.chippercash.com
What’s in It for You?
Your role will assist in the process of detecting, monitoring, and investigating financial crime compliance risk related policies and procedures which are compliant with our global policies, as well as local regulatory requirements. You will work with staff reporting to the CCO, Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Operations Officer (COO), Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and approved third party vendors to promote an appropriate risk-based approach.
Your position will be dynamic as you lead compliance investigations and escalation activities across our offices, overseeing the work of the AML Compliance Analysts and Due Diligence Analysts. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Your responsibilities will include initiating proactive cases and reviewing escalations of high-risk clients; conducting periodic/EDD reviews; and reviewing potential instances of suspicious activity and financial crimes investigations across a diverse range of disciplines including AML, Sanctions, Fraud, cybercrime, and security using the case management and other compliance tools.
- You will work independently within the AML policy framework to determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- You must keep abreast of changes to mobile payments industry, financial crime trends, and regulatory requirements in order to assess impact and communicate changes to relevant stakeholders.
- You apply subject matter expertise to the prioritization and identification of trends, anomalies and patterns for given case investigations and prepare required reporting for dispositioning, including further escalation per policy.
- Your interactions regarding sensitive investigatory matters evidence you demonstrating the exercise of sound judgement and high quality standards in risk analysis.
- You will prepare reporting of trends and patterns of suspicious activity of the customers who misuse our products and services, so that we may adjust our control mitigation.
- You serve as a mentor to other analysts through sharing knowledge, expertise, and problem-solving discussions.
- You work with management to identify professional development goals and opportunities, including on-the-job training/skills enhancement.
- You must maintain detailed records of all information used within the case management system for the investigation to clear or escalate the alert.
- You will perform any additional duties, as assigned.
- You possess a minimum of 5+ years of experience in financial services related role(s), with experience in several financial crimes underlying disciplines (AML/CFT, sanctions, fraud, investigations, transaction monitoring, client due diligence, agent due diligence). Candidates with less financial services experience may be considered if in a relevant discipline.
- You have a minimum of bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred, and if you also have certification(s) from professional bodies relevant to the financial services sector that’s a plus.
- You have demonstrated subject matter expertise (mobile banking/mobile payments/prepaid/ internet payments).
- Knowledge of AML/CFT, sanctions, and fraud laws, rules, regulations, risks, and typologies.
- Supervisory experience in an investigative, financial crimes unit, or related control area.
- You gained experience operating effectively across globally dispersed teams.
- You have demonstrated experience to independently manage, organize and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, responsibilities, and competing priorities for yourself and the team.
- You possess excellent written, verbal English communication and analytical skills, with the ability to articulate ideas to a diverse audience.
- It’s a plus if you have experience liaising with regulators and internal audit staff, such as examinations, audit and reviews, document production, and issue responses.
- Be a self-driven, self-starter. We’re a dedicated, hardworking team collectively motivated by our mission and vision.
- Have a global mindset. Even at our small size, we have a team that represents 10+ countries, and our global footprint of customers will continue to grow.
- Be comfortable with the uncomfortable, goals that is!
If you feel you are a fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.