Chipper is the largest mobile cross-border money transfer platform in Africa. We are a small passionate team, dedicated to expanding financial inclusion in some of the global regions most in need of accessible, interoperable, easy-to-use, and affordable financial services.
- As an engineer at a fast-growing early-stage company, you will have the opportunity to make a massive impact - on the company, on the product, and, most importantly, on the lives and livelihoods of our users.
- We are a small team. You will be encouraged to engage in high-level technical decision making, and there will be leadership roles available to early hires as the company continues to expand.
- Enjoy working from home? Coffee-shops? Co-working spaces? Pick any of the above! Our team is fully remote.
- We have an engineering team culture centered on open-communication, honest feedback, and personal responsibility. You will not be micromanaged.
- Our codebases are clean, performant, and well tested. We believe that the best solution is often the simplest, that writing good tests saves time and effort in the long run, and that code should be written with a focus on readability.
- The Chipper team is truly global - on a daily basis, you might be interacting with team members in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Brazil, Accra, Lagos, and Nairobi.
We don’t care very much about checking boxes, such as “X years of experience” or “Familiarity with X framework” to show that you’re qualified for this role. We’re looking for talented, passionate engineers, who enjoy writing clean, well structured, and well-tested code. An ideal team member will be self-driven, will enjoy owning their own projects, and will be able to constructively communicate with the rest of the team in order to brainstorm, disambiguate project specifications, and to give (and receive) feedback on everything from coding style to high-level architecture and design. Most importantly, we’re looking for engineers who love learning and are highly interested in the complexities of the business.
What You’ll Work On
We don’t tend to define rigid roles for engineers within our team - the projects that you work on will largely be driven by your own areas of interest. Here are some examples of roles that you might fill on the team:
- Build out beautiful user interfaces and experiences within the Chipper Cash mobile application, working closely with UX designers and researchers to make the app silky smooth and easy to use - even for users who might be using a smartphone for the first time!
- Implement new features across the full stack, delivering massive impact by iterating rapidly on the frontend and backend and delivering critical new functionality to the end user.
- Architect new services and functionality on the backend, utilizing cutting edge technologies such as high-throughput messaging queues to build out performant, fault-tolerant systems with a focus on elegance and simplicity.
- Comb through tens of millions of data points, discovering new insights and building advanced algorithms (incorporating machine learning techniques) to solve tough issues such as fraud detection and identity verification.
Our Tech Stack
The more familiarity you have with our tech stack, the better! The technologies that we use include, but are not limited to:
- React Native (nice to have)
- Python + Jupyter Notebooks (nice to have)
If you feel you are a good fit, please apply because we would love to hear from you. If you have any professional links to your work like a Github or linkedIn profile, please include them. It means a lot to us that you have taken the time to read through our job description so thank you so much for your time. We wish you all the best in your job search.
We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Chipper Cash is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.