Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Our core values are connected with empathy, center equity, get it done together, and reflect and evolve, these four are at the heart of all we do.
Crisis Text Line's software engineers develop the next-generation data platform that changes how millions of humans connect with volunteer crisis counselors, our clinical staff and the interaction with one another. Our platform needs to handle information at a massive scale and extend well beyond SMS as a channel. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design, and mobile. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Crisis Text Line's needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and the mental health space grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities, and be enthusiastic about taking on new problems across the full stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Crisis Text Line aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our products and technology serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services
Crisis Text Line is and always will be a mission-driven company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of our biggest technology challenges and make an impact on millions of users that seek help and support in a moment of crisis. At Crisis Text Line, engineers not only evolve our platform, they routinely work on large scalability and storage solutions, applications, and entirely new features for users around the world.
- Design, code, and unit test platform and integration components
- Develop frameworks for standardizing and enabling data flows via APIs, files, microservices, and message queues.
- Evaluate new integration technologies for addition to our platform
- Implement and maintain test harness and other tools
- Mentor wider team members about integration and platform engineering best practices and tools
- Continually look for opportunities to improve our platform, process, and business.
- Design, code, and test software
- Work with the product and design teams to build new features to solve business problems and fill business needs
- Participate in code reviews to create robust and maintainable code
- Communicate and coordinate with our support and professional services teams to solve customer issues
- Help scale our platform as we expand and find the right balance between the power of a consolidated codebase and the flexibility of microservices
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 6 years of software development experience, or 5 years with an advanced degree
- Experience in any of the following: web/mobile application development, Unix/Linux environments, distributed/parallel systems, information retrieval, networking, systems/security software development
- Master's, Ph.D. degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science, or other technical related fields.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Ability to write in English fluently and idiomatically.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)