HUMAN RESOURCES INTERNSHIP
New York, N.Y.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency, Inc. (CJA) is a private non-profit corporation serving the City's Criminal Justice system by providing pretrial and research services.
CJA pursues its goal of servicing the criminal justice system in the following ways: decreasing the number of days spent in detention by criminal defendants; screening defendants for a range of non-custodial sanctions; reducing the rate of non-appearance in court among defendants released from detention and awaiting trial; and providing information and research services to criminal justice policy makers, City officials, and the public.
Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources and HR Coordinator, the HR intern will learn the basic principles of Human Resources, Performance & Talent Management and Employee Engagement. She/he will support the organization’s efforts to update job descriptions and create metrics for a new performance evaluation system. The Intern will also assist in tasks relating to one or more of the following projects:
- Research issues related to hot topics in HR compliance
- Assist with revision of the Employee Manuals
- Review & classify job descriptions for multiple departments
- Development ideas for a HR Procedural Manual
- Maintaining filing systems
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
We offer a stipend for semester length assignments and weekly MetroCard to cover incidentals and expenses associated with participation in the program. Students enrolled in a matriculated program, wishing to gain credit or experiential learning, are welcome to apply.
The Ideal Candidate
A student majoring in Human Resources Management or Organizational Development, who seeks an opportunity for hands-on learning and enrichment, with a keen sense of organization and time management. We are looking for a compassionate and well rounded, self-starter with the following attributes:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a professional demeanor
- Able to independently prioritize & organize tasks
- Ability to use innovation and creativity to solve problems
- Familiarity with excel and power point knowledge, a plus
NOTE: Candidates must be able to commit at least 15 hours per week, or meet the individual school’s minimum requirement for weekly hours.
CJA is the NYC’s original pretrial service agency, providing services and solutions to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City. A non-profit agency funded through the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, CJA is uniquely positioned to provide the City’s Criminal Justice leaders, policy-makers and stakeholders with information, technical expertise and research about people arrested within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
We are guided by these values in our work:
• Commitment: We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
• Fairness: We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
• Innovation: We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER