HR Business Partner
Are you an HR Professional with a solid track record for building relationships?
Are you a strategic thinker focused on aligning mission and business function to build capacity?
Do you have the ability to think holistically about organizational health and well-being?
Join our team of dynamic professionals!
The NYC Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) seeks an experienced HR Business Partner, ready to apply their knowledge and expertise in organizational change leadership and strategic management. We're seeking a quick learner willing to share ideas to create and improve processes related to the employee relations and engagement.
The organization’s Human Resources Department oversees all HR functions for the Agency’s nearly 230 staff members city-wide, including recruitment, on-boarding, orientation, employee relations, benefits and compensation, professional development, workplace health and safety and compliance. Approximately 40% of the organization’s work force is unionized line staff providing 24-hour coverage for our operations. It is the HR departments mission to help employees understand their rights and obligations and to support staff, managers and organizational leaders in navigating all the complexities of work life through the various phases of the employment life cycle. In doing so, we seek to create a culture of inclusion and understanding with a respect for diversity of culture, experiences and ideas. We draw upon the individual and collective strengths and values of our talent to define and inform the need for comprehensive benefit plans, establish professional goals and meet performance objectives for the organization.
The HR Business Partner is a senior leadership role, reporting to the Director for Human Resources and Administration. The HR Business Partner must be a well-informed, well-read and experienced professional, ready to apply their knowledge and expertise to organizational change leadership; a quick learner willing to share ideas to create or improve processes related to the employee relations and engagement
The ideal candidate will be independent, organized and output driven, with the ability to prioritize duties and make sound decisions in the moment. Dynamic and self-directed with a compassionate and firm approach to managing people and conflict, finding solutions and building relationships. A forward thinker who anticipates, next steps for themselves and others and communicates those ideas effectively.
The HR Business Partner performs both administrative and strategic roles to support the continuous improvement and advancement of talent management at CJA. This position is charged with solving problems, developing and executing HR process improvements in alignment with organizational goals, and leading and/or collaborating on cross-functional projects and working groups.
Supports the HR Director in overseeing the day-to-day administration of Human Resources processes including the implementation or application of policy and procedure. Provides professional level duties in the functional areas of policy implementation, employee communications and engagement, employment law compliance, employee relations, as well as training and development.
- Works collaboratively and provides guidance to leadership, managers and supervisors to address root causes of human resources and employee relations issues. Provides consultation and resolution strategies for effective outcomes.
- Partners with the organization’s HR Performance Manager and internal leadership to provide consultative human resources support and technical assistance in the following areas: performance management, workforce development planning, job development, staffing, and career pipeline development; compensation analysis.
- Supports the development of Diversity and Inclusion, and Anti-Discrimination policies, practices and programming with the desire and willingness to champion diversity and inclusion efforts including the facilitation of training and events around the subject matter. Facilitates knowledge sharing and best practices agency-wide.
- Supervises and provides guidance to the Benefits Manager to ensure compliance and proper administration of employee benefits.
- Uses HR analytics to help the HR Director and senior leadership develop realistic, actionable and strategic plans to recruit, engage and retain a talented, well-rounded workforce.
- Participates in hiring and on-boarding functions including facilitation of group orientations.
- Directs and manages employment termination and off-boarding tasks to ensure structured and compliant processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university, preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Human Resources Management experience.
- Experience in change management, organizational development and employee relations preferred
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP or related certifications a plus
- Non-profit experience desired
- Ability to engage, inspire, and influence at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse group of colleagues and teams.
- Supervisory skills including the ability to coach, mentor and define goals and objectives
- Commitment to workforce diversity and fostering an environment of inclusion.
- Recognizes the value of employee contributions and supports others in working to their full potential.
- A strong professional work ethic and compass for the confidential nature of human resources matters.
- Experience in staff development and recruitment
- Prior hands on experience in benefits administration and leave management
- Proven ability to turn HR Analytics into actionable and strategic HR Plans.
- Current knowledge of federal, New York state, and local employment laws and practices and ability to apply regulation and employment compliance into practice.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to organize workload to assure deadlines are met.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage conflict, encourage dialogue and facilitate productive discourse
- Highly adaptable and able to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
CJA is the NYC’s original pretrial service agency, providing services and solutions to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City. A non-profit agency funded through the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, CJA is uniquely positioned to provide the City’s Criminal Justice leaders, policy-makers and stakeholders with information, technical expertise and research about people arrested within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
- We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
- We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
- We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
Salary: Commensurate with experience (Please note your salary requirements in the application)
CJA offers a very generous benefit plan including health, dental and vision insurance, a comprehensive mental health and wellness (EAP) plan, four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions. CJA is also strongly committed to professional learning and development for its staff members and offers staff varied opportunities for learning and development through partnerships and vendor services for web based, in-person professional development training, as well as in-house job training and development.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted