Senior Manager, PMO
The NYC Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) is looking for a smart, passionate and experienced Senior Manager, PMO who can successfully lead and develop a team of PM professionals in the management of multiple technical projects as we improve and significantly expand our programs and services. You will partner with cross functional teams in a highly collaborative role, developing strategic roadmaps, setting realistic implementation goals, ensuring that our projects have clarity of scope and design as well as stakeholder alignment. This position will be based in our main office in Manhattan, NYC.
CJA is NYC’s original pretrial service agency, providing services and solutions to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City. A non-profit agency funded through the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, CJA is uniquely positioned to provide the City’s Criminal Justice leaders, policy-makers and stakeholders with information, technical expertise and research about people arrested within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
- Lead Project Management Office, improving its effectiveness by establishing best practices in governance, planning and execution
- Run the project portfolio review and prioritization meetings, creating appropriate KPIs and executive level presentations to build a shared understanding of project, program and portfolio health
- Create and maintain a culture of innovation, where teams have a consultative mindset and a thorough, methodical approach to achieving project objectives
- Become deeply engaged in and knowledgeable of the solutions being developed, leading and inspiring teams to perform at their best
- Meet with Stakeholders to formalize project vision, establish business case and project scope; collaboratively set deadlines, assign responsibilities, and monitor and communicate progress
- Work with development teams to transform ambiguous product requirements into a well thought out design by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive consensus.
- Plan and facilitate effective Agile planning including backlog grooming, sprint planning, stand ups, demos and retrospectives
- Use technical background to work closely with other PMO staff and Technical Leads to anticipate release problems and take appropriate action to achieve commitments
- Monitor services delivery throughout the project and identify risks and issues, initiate strategies and take corrective action as appropriate
- Help ensure that the development team feel accountable for their decisions and provide appropriate feedback on the performance of internal and external project team members
- Expertly manage communication within the internal project team and with third-party vendors
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio, program and project management; comfortable being both a hands-on leader and a higher-level manager based on the situation
- 5+ years managing concurrent technical projects of varying size and complexity
- 3+ years leading teams building software using Agile/Scrum methodology
- Bachelor's Degree or advanced degree in Business Administration, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP) certification and an Agile/Scrum certification preferred
- Solid understanding of software development lifecycles and the challenges intrinsic to the development process
- Expert in Agile application life-cycle management tools like Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS) and highly skilled in Microsoft Project
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical skills to evaluate alternatives and present solutions that are consistent with business objectives and strategy
- Proven leadership ability including effective knowledge sharing, conflict resolution, facilitation of open discussions and appropriate levels of assertiveness
- Works independently, taking ownership to deliver projects and mentor project teams in order to achieve results.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and tolerant of ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to identify, analyze, and resolve impediments
- Excellent written communication skills and technical depth of understanding to be able to effectively lead technical staff as well as communicate with executives and stakeholders.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience (Please note your salary requirements in the application)
CJA offers a very generous benefit plan including health, dental and vision insurance, a comprehensive mental health and wellness (EAP) plan, four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions. CJA is also strongly committed to professional learning and development for its staff members and offers staff varied opportunities for learning and development through partnerships and vendor services for web based, in-person professional development training, as well as in-house job training and development.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted