Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is looking for a Government Affairs Legislative and Regulatory Attorney to join our growing Public Affairs team! The ideal candidate is experienced in reviewing, summarizing, analyzing, and drafting legislation and regulations, a strong writer and researcher, self-motivated, enjoys working in face-paced environments, works well with teams, is proactive, innovative and passionate, is able to lead projects with minimal supervision, and find answers when it appears there are none. This person will possess a strong business partner mindset and be able to execution under tight deadlines while managing several workstreams simultaneously.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Serve as a legal resource for the Public Affairs Department, supporting company-wide, cross-functional initiatives and by providing regulatory and strategic advice to the Government Affairs, SEED, and Community Integration Teams
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and local cannabis laws and regulations in the markets where Cresco Labs is operational Manage rulemaking processes, including drafting summaries of proposed rules, coordinating and facilitating comments across company-wide departments and with external partners and stakeholders, and developing comment letters to submit to regulators.
- Draft/amend proposed legislation, often with short deadlines, to further the company’s goals
- Develop and maintain a library of model legislation and regulations
- Monitor and report on local, regional, and state legislative and/or regulatory changes and trends
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders on regulatory and legislative issues as they arise
- Understand linkages across functional activities and see the relationship between activities, provide advice/counsel/leadership on missing deliverables, timing of activities, and have awareness of the impact of one action on downstream events that need to be considered
- Balance multiple ongoing assignments and maintain flexibility with respect to work hours and assignments
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- JD required
- Minimum 5+ years of experience of legal practice
- Strong, effective and demonstrable writing, researching, and communication skills
- Experience drafting, summarizing, and analyzing legislation and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and independently and to lead projects under strict time constraints
- Flexibility to work on a wide variety of projects in support of multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Proven strong work ethic and problem-solving ability
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Office, and Adobe Suite
- Ability to model Cresco’s Values: Stewardship, Ownership, and Leadership
Cresco Labs requires that all corporate employees be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus on or before September 30, 2021. If you are offered and accept a position, you will be required to prove your vaccination status prior to when your employment begins. If you require a medical or religious accommodation with regard to vaccination, please let us know once you receive an offer of employment (if applicable).
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.