Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is looking for a seasoned VP of Ethics & Compliance to champion the core values of the organization, maintain, promote, and embed the Code of Conduct (CoC) across the company through communications, guidance, and training materials. The role will act as a subject matter expert in ethics & compliance practices. Promotes, facilitates, and embeds ethics & compliance across the organization by providing thought leadership, strategic direction and operational toolkits. Conducts or supports internal investigations and works collaboratively with business partners to foster appropriate action. Serves as a Company lead for the Ethics Committee. Monitors and mitigates ethics & compliance risks facing the organization by ensuring appropriate management action is taken. Works with other risk-area owners on compliance training topics to ensure consistent quality and impact.
CORE JOB DUTIES
Code of Conduct & Compliance Policies
- Collaborate with leaders to ensure Cresco Labs Code of Conduct, ethics and compliance processes and key controls are effectively communicated, trained, and understood.
- Ensure Code of Conduct remains current and reflect statutory and regulatory requirements.
Speak-up & Nonretaliation Program
- Embed Cresco Labs’ Non-retaliation Policy, Conflict of Interest Policy, and other Personnel Policies in collaboration with HR and Legal.
- Ensure a safe and effective channel for raising questions, concerns, and allegations anonymously or confidentially, so that employees may report or seek guidance regarding suspected criminal conduct without fear of retaliation.
- Facilitate Ethics Committee and ensures an effective process for monitoring the outcome of investigations and ensuring appropriate actions are taken.
- Conduct and/or oversee timely internal investigations of matters that merit investigation and coordinate with business colleagues to implement remedial measures as appropriate.
- Work with HR to ensure consistent disciplinary practices and enforcement to ensure employees understand that unethical conduct will not be tolerated, especially for those individuals in key positions. Ensures disciplinary standards that are well-publicized and readily available to all personnel.
- Conduct periodic analysis of the reports and investigation findings to identify patterns of misconduct for potential compliance weaknesses, and ensuring appropriate training and communication occurs to address root cause issues. Compile, analyze, and present Ethics program data to key stakeholders.
- Report to business leaders and executives on key ethics and compliance initiatives, including quarterly trends in allegations & investigations, and an annual Ethics & Compliance summary report.
- Evaluate Cresco Labs Ethics & Compliance Leadership position in the industry and works with Legal & Government affairs on strategic external plans to raise Cresco Labs profile as an industry leader in Trust. Ethics, & Compliance.
Ethics & Compliance Assessments, Communication & Training
- Develop, implement, and periodically review ethics and compliance plan and alignment to OIG 7-elements of an effective compliance program.
- Assist in the development and embedding of Cresco Labs Risk Management & Control program, including Risk Management training and toolkit.
- Ensure processes are in place to undertake effective due diligence regarding commercial partners, customers, and suppliers regarding to Code of Conduct and personnel practices.
- Create training and communications to ensure that suppliers and third parties are aware of Cresco Labs policies and procedures and understand how to report potential violations.
- Onboard all Site-level Leaders and Corporate director-level and above, introducing them to the Cresco Labs Core Values, CoC, ethical decision-making models, and Cresco Labs leader expectations in championing ethical principles and values, safe working environment, allegations & investigations handling.
- On an annual basis, individually meets with Directors and above to discuss any issues, questions, or concerns
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
- 10-15 years relevant professional experience in compliance and ethics
- Demonstrable ethics and compliance leadership within an organization
- Deep experience in organizational culture, behaviors, and learning
- Strong and relevant experience developing and implementing Ethics & Compliance programs and handling issues and investigations
- Experience in operationalizing ethics and compliance programs in a corporate environment
- Good understanding of risk management and specifically risk assessment
- Track record of influencing senior and executive leaders on the ethics compliance agenda
- Highly developed people skills applicable at all levels of the organization
- Strong oral and written communications skills, including presentation skills
- Ability to work directly and effectively with C-Suite executives and Board members
- Self-starter able to work independently and manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.