Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
The Product Development Technician will assist the Product Development group in creating product prototypes, testing prototypes, screening new ingredients, assisting with commercial scale runs and product commercialization. The Technician will aid with producing both infused and non infused R&D samples. This role will help to optimizing current formulations, with investigative work performed as outlined by the Formulation Scientist and leadership.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Conduct accurate recordkeeping and experiment with existing/new ingredients within new and existing product formulations
- Ability to travel to The Hatchery (Chicago, Illinois) periodically in order to conduct infusions and to assist with rapid prototyping formulations
- Participate in non-medicated product cuttings, product evaluations, creative brainstorms and provide feedback on taste and texture attributes
- Ability to operate with laboratory equipment and familiarity in production environment
- Conduct pH, water activity, viscosity and other analytical bench top tests to ensure product conformance
- Ability to record and interpret technical data
- Communicate with ingredient suppliers to source ingredient samples and documentation needed for formula development and prototyping
- Prepare samples and product concepts for internal demonstrations, training, and brain-storming sessions
- Screen ingredients for function and cost effectiveness
- Monitor R&D ingredient sample dates and replenish inventory as ingredients expire or are depleted
- Conduct formalized research on market products, cannabinoids, bioavailability and other topics as determined by Formulation Scientist and leadership.
- Offer ingredient recommendations and ideas for product and process development
- Execute experiments with the support of the R&D team, based on project objectives
- Flexibility and ability to pivot on project needs and deliverables
- Meet project deadlines by working efficiently with a sense of urgency
- Maintaining correct sanitation for work areas and pilot plant areas
- Participate in establishing, improving and adhering to and fulfill policies, procedures and reporting requirements for all relevant Environment, Health and Safety regulations; local, state and federal food safety regulations; GMP and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs); GFSI, SQF, BRC and/or customer food safety requirements and other third-party inspections; and Non-GMO, Kosher, Gluten-Free, USDA Organic and other quality certification.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field, OR work equivalent
- 2+ years of Quality Assurance, laboratory related field, and/or product development
- Experience with cannabis extracts, edibles production and different infusion techniques a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and able to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Desire to learn about ingredient functionality to enable product quality improvement and new development
- Ability to stand for long hours when needed
- Must be able to lift and move 50 pounds, and preform typical cleaning of facilities and equipment
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.