Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
The Scientist, Formulation Development is a hands-on role responsible for supporting the development of robust products from proof of concept through commercial launch. Our House of Brands includes Cresco Labs, Good News, High Supply and Remedi, and products such as vapes, concentrates, and other medicinally minded products. The role will create consistent, safe, more bioavailable product formulations, and work cross collaboratively with other functions to make recommendations on the development of products.
- Participate in cross-functional new product development teams, and execute wet work formulation and benchtop experiments
- Conduct pre-formulation/formulation studies including solubility, excipient compatibility, physical characterization, and proof of concept batches
- Develop in-process and finished product specifications and quality metrics
- Collaborate with Engineering, Marketing, Automation, Manufacturing and F&B to recommend and onboard new production technologies
- Troubleshoot product/process issues and lead investigations related to product quality issues
- Document development work completely and contemporaneously to support patent applications
- Conduct periodic product analysis and optimize as needed
- Review analytical data, and product development reports
- Prepare project updates and status reports to group and sponsor in a timely manner
- Knowledge of basic analytical instrumentation skills required: HPLC/UPLC, LCMS, GCMS, Viscometer, Karl Fisher, FTIR
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills are required
- Works independently to design, execute and analyze laboratory experimentation
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Maintains full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports Company interests and industry trends
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates collaborative communication and problem solving spirit
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacy or Science related field, OR work equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years Food, Pharmaceutical, or Vitamin formulation experience
- Strict observance and adherence to required and approved safety procedure
- Proficient in MS Office, Highly Proficient in MS Excel, MATLAB
- Proven ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Internally driven, able to work independently, capable of independently researching and learning new techniques
- Cannabis Industry experience preferred
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.