Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
Cresco aims to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Their operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, they will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market they move in to.
Cresco Labs is looking for a seasoned SVP of Compliance to create, implement, and maintain all of our internal compliance and regulatory functions for the Company and its subsidiaries.
As the most Senior Leader across Compliance, this role will lead a team of experienced compliance professionals to comprehensively enhance and strengthen our compliance function throughout multiple departments and disciplines, ensuring our operations are consistent with applicable laws, regulations, contractual requirements, reporting, and industry best practices. The SVP of Compliance must have a strong working knowledge of federal and state regulatory guidelines and standards as it relates to the cannabis, food and beverage, and pharmaceutical industry, and operate with the highest level of integrity and ethics.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Partner across all departments and provide direction to develop and promote the compliance management strategy, and initiatives for training, awareness, and conformance with regulations
- Report to the Board of Directors on regulatory and compliance-related matters as appropriate or when called upon to do so
- Develop and enforce compliance training programs for all appropriate employees and management on applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, etc. to ensure adherence across all functions and promote legal and ethical conduct
- Develop policies and programs to encourage all employees to report any improprieties without fear of retaliation
- Assist Government Affairs to develop appropriate strategies and policies for interacting with enforcement and regulatory bodies on a local, state, and federal level where applicable (including but not limited to audits, reviews, examinations, etc.)
- Act as independent review or partner with appropriate channels to evaluate concerns within the organization and ensure appropriate investigations and resolutions.
- Establish and facilitate regular risk assessments to identify potential areas of vulnerability, and develop and delegate corrective action plans to resolve accordingly, in addition to providing guidance to mitigate and prevent future risks
- Oversees legal professionals regarding regulatory and licensing matters, including license application process
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- 10-15 years in-house experience as a compliance leader in a heavily regulated industry required, such as a pharmaceutical or food and beverage CPG, with a minimum of 5 years leading and developing a team.
- Working knowledge/understanding of regulations within the cannabis industry is a plus
- Demonstrated experience launching new compliance programs, from inception to implementation and beyond
- Excellent communication, negotiation, training and presentation skills and ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Strong organizational, project-management and teamwork skills required
- Able to manage multiple projects and work successfully in a fast-paced environment under strict time deadlines
- Ability to analyze issues and propose options and recommended course of action
- Ability work to collaboratively with individuals having diverse educational and cultural backgrounds
- Must be 21 years of age to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.