Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Reporting to the Regional Vice-President, the General Manager (GM) is the senior leader responsible for the overall operation of New York and Maryland across all disciplines, brands, facilities, functions, and locations. This individual will be accountable for galvanizing a team under a common growth platform with accountability for the end-to-end P&L, hitting internal and external targets, and creating the necessary connections to a distinct grouping or Centers of Excellence at HQ. The GM will work to continuously ensure the organization is delivering operational excellence, while also identifying innovative and creative services and solutions to expand our branded products in the market. The leader of this geography will be ultimately responsible for state-level decision making, revenue growth, profitability, and in creating a sustainable growth plan to capture market share in both the short and long-term.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a background in a CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods), NHP (Natural Health Products) or healthcare organization with a go-to-market approach that spans B2B, B2C, and industrial selling. The selected leader must have a healthy understanding of both owned and partner brand strategies, with an aptitude to advantage both private/white label and branded opportunities.
A successful candidate will have had prior success developing the strategy for a company or division, creating financial plans and budgets, responsibility for P&L, executing a growth plan that maximizes revenue and EBITDA, sales management, manufacturing, large-scale distribution leadership, managing and developing people, working in an environment that engineers to order, and championing the brand and developing a culture of excellence.
As the leader of the state(s), talent planning, talent management and professional development will be a core mandate of the role. In addition, the GM will be responsible for state communication, providing region performance updates to the RVP and Corporate leadership. The leader is responsible and accountable for creating an inclusive culture of winning, in turn making Cresco Labs a destination for long-term personal and professional growth.
- Manage all strategic facets of the area with full P&L responsibility across all functions, driving change and implementing new business processes by building cross-functional partnerships with sales, finance, marketing, supply chain, operations, controllership, human resources, compliance, quality and customer service.
- Prepare budgets for approval, including those for funding or implementation of programs such as Headcount, R&D, facilities operations, and equipment/improvements. Monitor budgets for performance to plan.
- Prepare and present an Annual Operating Plan (AOP) to Executive Leadership
- Prepare and present Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs) for Executive Leadership, identifying performance to plan, Risks and Opportunities (R&O) with analysis and recommendations around gap closure
- Drive new sales growth within new and existing client base and ensure the delivery of exceptional customer service to our clients.
- Develop short and long term strategies in partnership with senior team members and provide the leadership necessary for the successful design, development, and execution of that strategy to achieve measurable outcomes in a timely, cost effective manner.
- Lead and manage a highly productive, motivated and driven team through strong communication, empowerment, reward and coaching techniques.
- Achieve the organization's overall strategic goals and profitability requirements as determined by the strategic plans and subsequently communicate the business’ strategy to C-Suite and Board of Directors.
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible, successful experience in a high-growth CPG, NHP or healthcare organization, including 7+ years managing a large team across multiple sites
- Proven leadership and experience with managing effective client relationships that are high, wide and deep.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a broad knowledge of management practices and good business analysis/project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp a large, complex, matrix-oriented global business at a base level and use this understanding to set overall strategy and drive business process improvement.
- Strong business planning skills to execute strategic projects with implications for business areas with rapidly evolving business processes. Must possess a balanced perspective on strategic and tactical issues.
- Experience in new product development, particularly consumer products subject to government and regulatory scrutiny
- Proven ability to manage numerous projects, as well as resources, remotely in a highly dispersed organization.
- A proven track record of results including earnings growth, working capital reduction, SG&A control and operation productivity
- Proven ability to select top talent and create a productive environment that promotes initiative, innovation, continual learning and development of key personnel for future advancement.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with a wide range of audiences including clients, front line managers and C-level leaders.
- Ability to travel frequently throughout the region and as-needed to other locations throughout the country.
- Known as a working leader, one that can traverse complex environments while balancing delegation and owning specific work-streams to advance the business
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.