Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is among the largest cultivation, manufacturing and retail cannabis operators in the U.S. We provide a full suite of consistently dosed products catering to all consumers, from the novice to the connoisseur, from the medically treated to the recreational user. The company’s core values emphasize educating consumers while seeking to eliminate social stigmas associated with marijuana. We have developed strong partnerships with dispensaries, law-makers, physicians, and local communities – putting Cresco in a unique position to establish a national operation in the complex and developing cannabis industry.
Cresco aims to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Their operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, they will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market they move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Supplier Quality Assurance (SQA) Director to join our corporate headquarters in Chicago, IL. As the SQA Director, you will be responsible for overseeing supplier and co-packer and incoming material quality across the enterprise. This will include approval, disqualification, and probation of suppliers and co-packers. Associated quality activities involve serving as process owner and subject matter expert for established programs and SOPs governing supplier qualification and selection, incoming raw material specifications and inspections, supplier monitoring/audits, and associated supplier and incoming material investigations and Corrective and Prevention Action (CAPA). Product families include suppliers and raw materials supporting cultivation, extraction, manufacturing, food production, and packaging/labeling, and operational services. This position will be responsible for ensuring products are being produced in a manner that meets all specifications and brand consistency. You will also lead efforts to track and trend supplier and material issues, identify potential quality risks for ingredients, product contact packaging, and supplier/co-packer facilities and working with supply chain and operations personnel to develop improvement opportunities. The ideal candidate must demonstrate strong leadership, be a strong communicator, have a breadth of quality experience, and demonstrate the ability to work within a highly regulated industry. The position will be based out of our Chicago Headquarters and will report to the VP of Quality.
- Responsible for supplier quality program at Cresco, managing creation of and updates to quality policies and procedures
- Responsible for establishing and updating raw material incoming specifications and inspections, partnering with key stakeholders in operations, R&D, procurement, document management and warehouse management/material handling
- Evaluate potential suppliers and co-packers and raw materials prior to engaging in services and/or material purchases
- Work closely with procurement, operations, suppliers when quality issues arise, both holistically with supplier and specific product or service items
- Oversee investigation activities for incoming material defects and issues, e.g. customer complaints, etc. and ensure timely resolution.
- Manage quality performance at co-manufacturer and co-packer sites
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Responsible for process ownership of company’s supplier quality program including developing and keeping up-to-date a supplier/co-packer manual. This will include incoming material requirements, and supplier quality performance management
- Serve as subject matter expert for site quality personnel
- Assess changes to requirements and procedures due key stakeholder feedback, new or evolving regulatory changes, and new market launches
- Work with operations, R&D, and procurement functions and key stakeholders to establish supplier minimum standards and product specifications
- Perform periodic supplier audits, prepare written report with summary of audit findings and CAPA
- Perform batch record review and release of ingredient batches/lots and finished goods from co-packers.
- Ensure supplier, supply chain, operations, and quality personnel are adhering to SOPs
- Develop training associated with applicable SOP’s.
- Serve as escalation point for supplier services or product quality issues that span across multiple sites, products, etc.
- Track and trend customer complaints, adverse events, CAPA related to supplier/raw material incidents
- Work with quality subject matter experts to generate ideas for projects and process improvements.
- Discuss issues and concerns directly with supplier/operations management and senior leadership.
- Collaborate with operational functions to troubleshoot manufacturing and production issues, defects, CAPA, and customer complaints. Provide advice with process improvements to eliminate errors and reduce risk.
- Consolidate technical information from operations and manufacturing personnel and prepares written investigation and CAPA reports which may be provided to suppliers or state regulators. Discuss quality-related issues with suppliers or state regulators, as needed, to ensure that action plans are implemented and addressed.
- Monitors compliance to established Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and SQF (Safe Quality Foods) guidance.
- Facilitates creation of and/or updates to product safety plans or product process parameters.
- Conducts all duties in compliance with safety rules, applicable SOPs, and other applicable guidelines.
- Travel 15-30% to facilities and states as the need arises.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelor of Science Degree (Food Science, Biology, Chemistry preferred or similar), 10+ years’ experience in a quality role
- Prior experience in highly regulated industry: healthcare, medical devices, pharmaceutical, consumer packaged goods (food), supplement, cannabis.
- Highly desirable: FDA, HACCP, SQF experience
- Prior experience in Quality Assurance or Quality Control function
- Prior experience with supplier quality selection, supplier monitoring/audits, supplier inspection procedures, customer complaints, product investigations, CAPA, and product withdrawal/recall procedures.
- Prior experience in regulatory agency audits and correspondence.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including writing executive summaries and communicating with senior level operations, supply chain, operations, and quality management team, and regulatory agencies
- Utilizes critical thinking to troubleshoot issues, work collaboratively with a team to brainstorm solutions, and implement improvement solutions
- Lead/Manage quality assurance team, resource allocation, priorities, budget, etc.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry