Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 110 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
As Privacy & Compliance Counsel, you will proactively assess legal risk and use your experience to provide smart, practical guidance to stakeholders about the privacy and data security challenges our company faces. You will also look for opportunities to distinguish Credit Karma as a privacy and data security leader, and use your expertise to influence big picture decisions, such as how the company approaches privacy and data security generally. You will report to Credit Karma’s Chief Privacy Officer and work closely with members of our Legal team and cross-functional teams across the organization. The role requires a self-motivated and highly collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage complex cross-functional efforts related to privacy and data security
- Proactively assess how evolving privacy and data security requirements apply to new and innovative financial services products and other technologies
- Provide actionable, business-savvy guidance to business stakeholders related to privacy and data security
- Support our International Team (UK and Canada) in the areas of privacy and data security
- Help to develop and mature a privacy program across the entire company, including developing and implementing processes and policies
- Educate stakeholders in a simple, easy to understand way about privacy and data security issues and innovating on ways to continue fostering a culture of learning
- Stay up-to-date on new and evolving regulatory requirements related to privacy and data security
What’s Great About the Role:
- A satisfying mission, working to make financial progress possible to everyone – free of charge
- The opportunity to work on cutting edge issues at the intersection of technology and financial services
- A dynamic work environment with a team of smart, fun, collaboration-minded attorneys who enjoy learning from each other
- Mentor and provide thoughtful feedback to junior team members and other coworkers to help them grow
- A chance to grow with the company as Credit Karma progresses in its mission
What we are looking for:
- 4+ years of experience as an attorney, with a combination of law firm and in-house experience preferred
- JD from accredited law school and excellent academic credentials
- Member of at least one state Bar
What we would like to see:
- CIPP-E and/or CIPP-US
- Litigation experience
- Experience advising companies on U.S. (federal and state), European, and/or Canadian privacy and cybersecurity laws
- Knowledge of privacy or cybersecurity-related regulations such as CPRA, GDPR, GLBA, FCRA, and the NYDFS cybersecurity regulation
- Experience building or maturing privacy or compliance programs
Pay Transparency Notice: Credit Karma’s mission of championing financial progress for all starts from within. That’s why we implemented role-based compensation, which ensures people who are in the same role receive the same pay with variations for geographic location only. It’s all part of a more comprehensive DEI strategy that helps level the playing field. The base salary range for this role is $184,000 to $215,438, plus equity and benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information or other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance laws.
Credit Karma is also committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment because it is the right thing to do. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in employment with Credit Karma and need special assistance or an accommodation to either apply or interview for a specific role.
COVID-19 update (US Jobs Only):
Credit Karma believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. We also believe that in order to work toward our mission of helping people make financial progress, people first and foremost need their health. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated (including eligible boosters) against COVID-19 prior to their start date unless otherwise approved for an exception as may be required by law.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: