Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
This position is a part of Credit Karma’s Platform Engineering organization, working within our Infrastructure department. We operate the systems that underpin Credit Karma’s applications, including:
- Kubernetes and related tools such as Helm and Flux
- Cloud services in the Google Cloud Platform, using Terraform
- Large MySQL database clusters
- Physical and cloud networking infrastructure
- Observability tooling to provide metrics, logs, traces, and dashboards
This role blends software development -- building tools and automating processes through software -- with an operational mindset and deep understanding of what makes production systems reliable. In addition to extensive software development experience, a successful candidate for this role will have experience supporting and operating large-scale production systems in a cloud-centric environment. Strong project leadership and organization skills will be essential, with excellent written and spoken communication, and a collaborative, customer-centric nature.
What you’ll do (details depend on the specific team you join):
- Designing and coding tools and systems.
- You might identify an example of toil which can be eliminated with tooling, either independently or in connection with one of our existing tools.
- You might write a design document for a new component, or propose integration of a new open-source tool.
- You might contribute code to an open-source tool that we use.
- We code in Go, Typescript, Scala, and Python. We also use Terraform, React, Salt, and other technologies. What you don’t know, you’ll get a chance to learn.
- Provide research, recommendations and solutions for redundancy, availability, scalability, and performance improvement.
- Work with product teams to ensure scalability and reliability of their services.
- Help troubleshoot and improve existing services and applications.
- Identify opportunities for improved performance, reliability, and security.
- Plan and execute multiple projects, and support 24/7/365 site operations.
- Support, maintain, and improve your team’s specific components.
- Develop code to deploy immutable infrastructure, and define cloud systems in code.
- Automate manual processes to reduce toil and opportunities for errors, and increase efficiency.
- Manage and update observability, monitoring, and alerting for your components.
- Participate in on-call rotations with your team.
- Support your customers (aka Credit Karma engineers).
Perks of the role:
- As a Senior/Staff Engineer, you will be collaborating across engineering to improve, evolve, and advance systems that are used by the entire company.
- You will have the opportunity to contribute greatly to an extremely engineering-focused organization.
- Your contributions will have a noticeable impact on our members as well as your fellow Karmanauts (that’s what we call ourselves).
- You will be involved in organizational efforts of continuous improvement to increase and ensure the reliability of Credit Karma.
- You will get broad exposure to our full stack, consisting of modern technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform, etc.
- You will grow and learn and have fun doing it -- that’s part of our culture.
Minimum Basic Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer working in languages such as Go, Python, Typescript, Scala, Ruby, etc.
- Extensive experience managing production systems, with an understanding of what makes them resilient, scalable, and maintainable.
- Familiarity with running applications in cloud platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure).
- Strong background designing applications and systems, and documenting them in clear technical documents.
- Knowledge of automation and configuration management tools such as Terraform, Salt, Ansible, Chef, Puppet.
- Experience setting up and managing applications in cloud platforms like GCP and AWS, configuring services, load balancers, and automating setups.
- Familiarity with and strong beliefs about information security principles and best practices in virtual environments.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance or similar ordinances.
COVID-19 update: Protecting the health of our employees and the candidates interested in a career at Credit Karma is our top priority. We appreciate your understanding and being open and flexible with any changes related to our interviewing process.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: