Vice President, Legal & Compliance
Credible.com (“Credible”) is looking for a high performance, operationally-focused professional to serve as its Vice President, Legal & Compliance (“VP of Legal & Compliance”). Based in our offices in San Francisco, this represents an exciting and unique opportunity to own the legal and compliance function of a rapidly growing financial technology (“Fintech”) company.
The VP of Legal & Compliance will report directly to the CEO, and will work closely with Credible’s COO, and the legal and compliance team at Credible’s parent company, FOX Corporation. The successful candidate will be operationally excellent, and will provide clear counsel to senior management and the Credible team in the following areas: regulatory compliance, privacy & data, intellectual property, policy, employment, commercial and general corporate.
Who is Credible?
We believe life’s changes create financial needs for people and that the traditional financial system often puts up unnecessary obstacles. People celebrate major milestones like going to college, getting married, and buying a home. And most of the time, these milestones come with financial implications.
At Credible, we have built a company with the mission of bringing transparency, choice, simple processes and savings to accessing credit for life’s important moments. What you see is what you get. We are committed to being upfront, honest, and clear about your options. There are no mysteries, no hidden fees, and no secret clauses.
Credible is a fast-growing Fintech company that has world class management, is well funded, is generating significant revenue, is disrupting the lending market, and is helping people save money and get out of debt faster.
- Provide strategic counsel on legal and compliance matters to Credible’s senior management and board of directors
- Direct and oversee the operations of the Credible’s Legal & Compliance team and recruit, develop and retain a high-performing team that collaborates with the rest of the organization to effectively serve Credible’s mission statement, commercial needs and strategic business objectives
- Design, establish, implement and supervise compliance management systems throughout the organization to ensure Credible is effective and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting and correcting non-compliance with applicable consumer financial protection regulations (e.g., RESPA, FCRA, ECOA, GLBA, CCPA). This includes, but is not limited to, policies and procedures related to state licensing, website practices and disclosures, consumer-facing advertising / marketing materials, editorial content, partner/vendor contracting practices and treatment of intellectual property and data privacy
- Manage relationships with Credible’s federal and state regulators, including management of supervisory examinations and audits and oversight of licensing
- Oversee Legal and Compliance operations related to legal change management, consumer complaints and vendor management
- Advise Credible’s product management, engineering, partnership and marketing teams on legal risks and how to mitigate/avoid them by leveraging deep experience and financial services regulation knowledge to give appropriate recommendations, including vetting third party application integrations, and data collection practices
- Proactively and creatively evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions, help to balance risk management vs. business opportunity, speed, innovation and growth, and be able to anticipate potential legal and regulatory issues that could impact the company
- Work in close collaboration with Credible’s Finance and People Operations teams to develop consistent standards and practices for all employment-related policies and procedures
- Draft, review, and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements with lenders, marketing and advertising partners and vendors that minimize risks and maximize legal rights for Credible
- In partnership with the finance team, develop and actively manage Credible’s Legal & Compliance budget and oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of outside counsel, to ensure Legal & Compliance investments are managed effectively
- Partner with other individuals at Credible to interface and manage relationships with both internal stakeholders (including Credible’s NASDAQ-listed parent company) and external parties (including outside counsel, partners and regulators)
Education, Qualification & Skills
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate excellent judgment, and will be exceptionally well organized
- Have a thorough understanding of the regulatory landscape impacting lending, loan brokerage and financial services (e.g., state laws, RESPA, FCRA, ECOA, GLBA, CCPA)
- Have experience interacting with and managing relationships with federal and state regulatory agencies
- Strike a balance between driving Credible’s growth and ensuring compliance and sound risk management
- Ideally have direct, relevant, growth stage Fintech experience
- Be motivated, highly insightful and demonstrate an ability to take ownership and deliver results
- Have a minimum of 8 years of relevant legal experience within consumer lending (either at a top-tier law firm or in-house)
- Have a JD degree and must be a member of the California Bar
Why you want to work at Credible
We are a fast moving, fun-loving, seriously smart group of people who really care about impacting the lives of our customers. We empower our employees to make decisions, take risks, drive our business and make changes when we don’t get it right. These are our values:
- Exceed Customer Expectations: We provide an exceptional experience to each and every customer that compels them to share it with others.
- Take Ownership: We are trusted to make decisions that are in the best interests of our customers and our business. We think and act like owners. We care – and that makes all the difference.
- Be Curious: We are curious, ask questions, seek to understand and try new things.
- Do the Right Thing: We earn trust by being transparent, respectful and honest with each person with whom we interact.
- Get Results: Results fuel our excitement and we know how our personal accomplishments tie to the success of the company
- Be Bold: We are courageous and take risks that scare us. Our enthusiasm for experimenting is how we will find the next breakthrough.
Our benefits: We offer competitive compensation, generous benefits, free food and a flexible vacation policy. But mainly, you want to work at Credible because you believe in our mission and want to play a major role in delivering on it! We look forward to getting to know you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.