Description of Department:
Strategy at CP+B is about contributing every day to creative work that leaves a mark on culture. We are a collection of broad-brained thinkers from a diverse array of backgrounds who come together to serve the shared agency mission of creating the most written about, talked about, and outrageously effective work in the world. To do that, it really boils down to two things:
- Making the work better
- Changing how people (clients, creative, consumers) think
By partnering with resources across the department and throughout the agency, Strategy plays a crucial role in the development, creation and execution of creative ideas. We search, find, distill, second-guess and turn information into unexpected insights for ourselves, our brands and our teams. It’s not just about delivering briefs and disappearing – Strategy’s job is to take ownership of ideas as much as anyone else in the agency to do whatever it takes to help make them better.
Brief Summary of the Position:
The Strategist at CP+B is a fact-finder, question-asker and all-around storyteller that assists the Strategy team in uncovering cultural insights through primary research, secondary research, a steady handle on the way the Internet works and old-fashioned instinct. They put the pieces together from disparate information, ask a ton of smart questions and find the things that others can’t see. They dive deep, get immersed and leave no stone unturned. Their inexhaustible curiosity serves up information, insights and inspiration on a consistent basis, making them an essential part of the strategic thinking, creative process and culture of CP+B.
- Curious, resourceful, and excited to dig in.
- Multi-tasker who can hold several thoughts in their brain simultaneously
- Willing to jump in and assist wherever needed
- Self-starter who can take a project and run with it with minimal oversight
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Fearless – willing to take a risk with an idea to uncover something unexpected
A successful candidate will be able to accomplish the majority of the following tasks on day one:
Research & Insights
- Gather information based on secondary research and desk research to assist in around Culture, Consumers, Category and Core Equities.
- Dive into client data, research and briefs to outline opportunities for further
- Manage the details and scheduling of primary research projects, including initial scope meetings and official launch meetings to kick off the project.
- Maintain status and meeting notes on assigned team projects. Report high-level progress to Co-Leads each week.
- Contribute to the insights for creative briefs and assist with briefing decks.
- Assist with recruitment for research projects as needed.
Business & Brand Strategy
- Monitor cultural and social trends that affect our client’s businesses, helping to uncover truths and opportunities.
- Create quarterly reports on specific audiences, competitors, platforms and business trends.
- Work with Social Media team to monitor brand conversations.
- Dive into best-practices, competitive case studies and analogous situations for clients to provide perspective.
- Learn tools and frameworks for brand positioning, communications strategies and campaign evolution.
Communications Planning & Integration
- Provide analysis on new platforms, innovative brand campaigns and cutting edge technologies to inspire creative partners.
- Develop best practices for calls-to-action and ensure consistency across campaign elements.
- Work with Media & Analytics team to dive into data and find interesting stories to tell about brand, business or consumer.
- Work with Social Media and Analytics teams to understand tools at our disposal for uncovering brand truths.
Skill Building Opportunities
Whenever possible, the team will engage the Strategist to build their skill set and experience level in the following areas:
- Development of research tools and methodologies
- Creative Brief writing
- Deck writing
- Development of creative exercises
- Cultural Analysis
- Strategic thinking
- Brand strategy tools & frameworks
- Communications planning tools
It is expected that within two years as a Strategist you will have developed the instincts, mastered the basic tools and begun showing the independence it takes to get to the next level.
- 4-8 years of related experience (internships included).
- A point of view on people, brands, culture, business and how they fit together.
- Familiarity with digital platforms and how brands and consumers use them.
- Collaborative spirit willing to learn quickly and jump in to a broad range of last minute projects.