Course Hero is scaling! A Course Hero Software Engineer II is a strong developer who collaborates with team members, owns critical parts of the key projects, and participates in the continuous improvement of our software systems. We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to constantly evolving business needs.
You will demonstrate your engineering expertise and passion for applying technology to help tackle real business problems as they happen. You should be comfortable working with loosely defined requirements and have a strong desire to work on a variety of business applications. Our engineers are versatile leaders who work enthusiastically to seek new problems across the technology stack.
You'll work closely with the product team and other specialists to tackle moderately sophisticated technical challenges as well as craft product features that our customers love. You can view these videos to learn more about our engineering culture, and our company mission.
You will be part of the Discovery pod and will be responsible for shipping compelling and engaging search and recommendations experiences that will help millions of students discover relevant, course-specific content that empowers them to graduate confident and prepared.
This is a full-time role located in Redwood City, CA
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Review, understand, and discuss product requirements with team and product managers
- Implement, test, and maintain distributed systems that perform 24x7
- Debug and fix production issues
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Collaborate with ML, UX, and product to conceptualize and execute on our exciting content discovery roadmap.
Are you our Platform Software Engineer II?
- Object-Oriented Programming concepts, data structures, and algorithms
- Modern engineering languages (Python, Go), microservices SOA architecture
- Familiarity with streaming solutions (e.g Kafka, RabbitMQ, Spark, etc.)
- A focused approach to writing automated tests
- Hands-on experience with developing and maintaining distributed systems
- Ability to articulate sophisticated concepts in writing and in person
- 2+ years of relevant proven experience
- Operational knowledge of relational and non-relational databases (e.g. MySQL/Postgres and Cassandra/ElasticSearch)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS Ecosystem
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more!)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall - Massages!
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- 10K Local move benefit to move within 10 miles of our office!
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.