Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for a Director of Data Engineering to lead our Data Platform and Infrastructure team that will design and implement our next-generation data architecture.
Hundreds of millions of users visit our Education Platform each year and we process massive amounts of data every day. This data is used to drive product decisions, discover product insights, and build intelligent data products that help our customers graduate confident and prepared. At Course Hero, we are a team that likes to try new things and move fast; if our ideas do not work out, we learn and try again. We enjoy “the doing” as much as the result. If you love to learn and challenge yourself then Course Hero will be a great place for you!
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact!
- Define the team vision, roadmap and strategy for building a data platform that delights ML engineers, data scientists, analysts, and product managers.
- Lead a team of software and data engineers to build data frameworks, tools, and services.
- Recruit and hire outstanding data engineers to build the team.
- Provide hands-on technical expertise during the design, implementation, and delivery of the data platform.
- Collaborate with engineering leaders, product managers and other stakeholders across the organization.
- Identify key metrics and objectives for the team, and build monitoring systems to visualize them.
Are you our next Director of Data Engineering?
- Extensive experience in designing and implementing data platforms.
- Strong understanding of programming paradigms such as distributed architectures.
- Experience in writing, maintaining and deploying RESTful services and event bus driven applications using tools like Kafka.
- Programming experience in Go, SQL, Python, Scala, PHP, or similar language.
- 10 years of relevant industry experience, with 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Strong communication and coordination skills, enabling you to lead by example and in small groups, as well as collaborate with leaders in other parts of the company.
- A proven ability to mentor, teach and inspire software engineers.
- A BS or MS in Computer Science or a related field.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as the 245th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte’s 2018 Technology Fast 500 and also 2018’s One of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more!)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall - Massages!
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- 10K Local Move Program to move within 10 miles of our office
- 16 weeks of paid leave for maternity or paternity
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out videos on our LinkedIn Career Page