Course Hero is looking for an experienced Staff Data Scientist to join our Data Science and Analytics team as part of the Artificial Intelligence Group.
In this role, you will work with big data sets, using deep statistical models, to drive actionable insights and tackle high impact business problems. You will be telling the story behind your insights -- painting a picture to our functional partners, explaining what the numbers are telling us, and recommending product changes, new features, and A/B tests for implementation. As a guideline, you may expect to spend 80% of your time individually driving analyses and insights, and 20% mentoring other data scientists.
The charter for the Data Science and Analytics team at Course Hero is to focus on supporting the business and product teams with planning, tracking, measuring and enabling data-driven insights to support key decisions. The team will be building models and narratives around student and educator journeys, marginal value and utility, customer and asset lifetime value, inferred intent, behaviors, usage, trends, and economic demand curves powering content recommendations, pricing and other applied data science initiatives. This is a technically-engaged, high-visibility position leading analytics for varied stakeholders across business, operations, products, marketing and engineering.
The analytics team at Course Hero is central to our functional organization, and heavily influences the strategy and tactics of our company’s roadmap. The analytics team is rapidly growing in order to generate more and more analytical insights to fuel Course Hero’s growth while giving directions to our product strategy. We are also constantly improving and innovating ways that Course Hero can use data to drive growth and strategic initiatives.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- You'll heavily influence how we build a mission-driven, high-throughput data science and analytics organization, and contribute to our collaborative culture.
- You’ll establish data rigor, data integrity, accuracy, responsiveness and execution cadence across all data science and analytics programs.
- You’ll focus on building frameworks and tools to automate ad-hoc and post-hoc analysis requests.
- You’ll help AI and ML engineering teams with exploratory data analysis for enabling semantic search, fraud analytics, spam detection models, document optimization and analysis to support applied machine learning across all product initiatives.
- You'll lead and work with members of the Analytics team to deliver data insights that help product owners create better business decisions and strategies.
- You'll mine structured and unstructured data platforms to understand customer attributes, user journeys, engagement with the products, and growth opportunities for our business.
- You’ll help model complex relationships in the presence of many confounding factors.
- You’ll come up with quick hypotheses to diagnose and explain trends in our growth. You’ll also build diagnostic frameworks to come up with more scalable ways of answering business questions about trends in our growth rate.
- You’ll design innovative A/B testing techniques and help segment millions of users.
- You’ll help design and implement machine learning models to support Course Hero products.
- You'll propose strategic initiatives and goals to help our functional partners to achieve their goals and drive growth.
- You'll effectively communicate data findings to internal and external team members.
- You'll always be looking for ways to improve the status quo and raise the standards of our team.
Are You Our Next Staff Data Scientist?
- You have 8+ years of working experience in data science or analytics.
- You have a deep understanding of statistics and probability, quantitative sciences, data analysis, natural language processing, text mining, econometrics, and distributed data processing.
- You are skilled in predictive modeling, statistical modeling, data mining, numerical simulation, stochastic modeling, time series analysis, and portfolio modeling.
- You have quantitative experience in B2C markets.
- You have a track record of delivering decision support models and quantitative analysis with actionable insights.
- You have hands-on technical skills in Python, SQL, Map/Reduce, RegEx, and Linux scripting.
- You have experience with big data platforms such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, and Pig.
- You have an MS or PhD degree in a scientific or quantitative field.
- You have experience mentoring or managing other data scientists.
- You have knowledge and experience working with Google Analytics, Tableau, Amplitude, and Treasure Data
- You have experience working in education or e-commerce domain
What We Offer You:
- Industry competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with matching to help you save for the future
- Educational assistance program to support lifelong learning
- Regularly planned team events and outings
- Free lunches twice a week, cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Commuter benefits, cell-phone allowance, and a free gym membership
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact - education technology is revolutionizing the way we learn
Course Hero envisions a world where every student graduates, confident and prepared. We are a privately held, mission-driven educational technology company that is profitable and growing. We’re building the optimal learning destination for every college course. Course Hero students can access over 20 million course-specific study materials and study resources to enhance their supplemental and deep learning experiences. We see more students that are confident and prepared when they can quickly find what they need and learn deeply.
At Course Hero, we have an awesome team and a really engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty and we love to learn!
We’re not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as the 245th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte’s 2018 Technology Fast 500 and also 2018’s One of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal.