Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
Coupang is looking for a smart, customer obsessed, driven, and creative candidate to help us build and drive some of our largest and fastest growing categories and sub-categories. The Senior Vendor Manager will be primarily responsible for 1) setting category strategy; 2) negotiating new and direct partnerships with key brands; 3) expanding selection 4) improving business terms 4) leading key project areas that help drive sustained improvements across the larger Coupang Retail organization; 5) driving the top and bottom line of the overall P&L
- Act as the P&L and category owner for his or her respective vendors, possessing a complete understanding of internal and external variables that impact the business. This entails owning forecasting, monitoring, and reporting on suppliers, along with responsibility for driving strategic projects to achieve business objectives
- Manage new and existing vendor relationships - manage supplier/partner contracts, manage day-to-day relationships, and consistently work to expand our selection
- Negotiate for business terms, best costs, promotional pricing and funding, and partners with the marketing team to create and sell marketing budgets
- Create business plans for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for the launch of new products.
- Drive key projects above and beyond category ownership that will help drive sustained improvements across the larger Coupang Retail organization
- Coordinate cross-functional teams, and communicate with internal and external parties, while meeting tight deadlines
This candidate should have previous experience in buying/vendor management as well as a background in retail or e-commerce. They must be able to work in a highly demanding but collegial environment where teamwork is a must. The right candidate will be a self-starter, able to work with minimal direction, be flexible, action and results oriented. They must also be decisive and able to move with speed to implement their own ideas.
- 4+ years of experience in buying, product management, vendor management, retail, e-commerce
- Professional experience in negotiating with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency with Excel and extracting data through varied reporting tools in order to drive and influence business decisions
- Ability to understand multiple retail business models and their technical implementation.
- Ability to prioritize work in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with ambiguous problems
- Bachelor's degree majored in business, finance, analytical or related majors. (mathematics, computer science/engineering, statistics, economics etc.)
- Bilingual in Korean
- Recent experience with creating Tableau reports
- MBA or other relevant graduate degree
- Relevant experience in retail, operations or e-commerce
- Proven experience leading cross-functional projects
- Experience in vendor negotiations, pricing and promotion, inventory management, and product development
- Strong communication skills - speaking, writing, presenting and negotiating
- Ability to operate simultaneously and effectively in both tactical and strategic modes
- A willingness to roll up sleeves to get things done
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.