Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
The Head of Product Design, Categories will be a core member of the UX leadership team, responsible for building and delivering a best-in-class customer experience for Coupang’s core e-commerce offerings as we continue to rapidly scale our platforms. This person will be overseeing all different categories at Coupang such as Consumer Electronics, Fashion, Health, Beauty, Sports, Books, etc. You will have complete ownership of the entire categories experience at Coupang. To do so you will have to analyze all categories at a strategic level, work with product owners for each category and help develop a roadmap on which categories to invest in.
With its innovative technology and operational know-how, Coupang is transforming the entire customer experience. Our global Search and Discovery team in is key to this transformation and tasked with creating an amazing search, discovery and shopping experience for all our Customers. We are obsessed about improving every step of the user experience, from the moment customers sign up for a new Coupang account in our mobile app or website to finding the product they’re looking for, making the purchase, and picking up the delivery items at their front door.
What You Will Do
- Lead all current and future categories strategically and tactfully.
- Help UX leadership deliver on key initiatives within Coupang's platform.
- Manage managers and senior/principal designers.
- Provide tailored best in class user experiences that match the needs of each user.
- Motivate and guide designers and leaders guiding them to grow their careers with Coupang.
- 10+ years of experience delivering high quality designs.
- 5+ years of managing teams of Designers preferably at a top tier internet company.
- Has led design sprints, team brainstorming, and ideation exercises.
- Collaborated with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment.
- Track record of using data and quantitative research methodologies to inform decision making across the entire product design process/lifecycle.
- Able to operate autonomously to manage projects in a fast-paced environment and remain focused amidst frequently changing requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, HCI, Computer Science, Psychology, Ethnography or equivalent practical experience.
- Closely partnered with product leadership/engineering to develop strategy and rationale for large and complex features, projects, or programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, both in English and Korean.
- Domain knowledge of the e-commerce and/or food delivery sectors or understanding of the complexities of a marketplace/consumer platform model.
- Able to pitch and hold in depth discussions with the C-level stakeholders.
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.