Director, Data Science – Supply Chain Management Autonomation
Coupang is the largest e-commerce company in Korea, delivering millions of items, including fresh groceries, within hours to millions of people, 365 days a year. Our mission is to create a world in which customers wonder, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ Korea is one of the fastest growing e-commerce markets in the world, and Coupang is a leader in this fast-growing industry. Powered by innovative technology and operations, we have set out to transform the customer experience journey–from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how customers search and discover on a truly mobile platform. We have invested heavily in infrastructure and technology, building an integrated system that we control from end to end. This enables us to improve as we grow, build new services, and break the tradeoffs between price, selection, and quality that consumers are too often forced to take for granted.
We have been named as one of the ‘50 Smartest Companies in the World’ by MIT Technology Review, and as one of Forbes magazine’s ‘30 Global Game Changers.’ In 2020, we placed second on CNBC’s ‘Disruptor 50’ list.
Who We Are?
The SCM Data Science team is responsible for applying Data Science and Machine Learning to solve problems in Demand Forecasting, Sales and Operations Planning and Supplier Behavior. SCM Data Science faces a range of challenges in predicting customer behavior across a wide range of time scales and under various business conditions, all at e-Commerce scale. We provide a demand forecast for all of Coupang’s Retail SKUs, every day. Our Demand Forecast ensures Coupang’s customers are delighted with consistently available products. The manager of the SCM Data Science team will lead a team of Data Scientists and Data Analysts to build new models and work with our engineering teams to get these models into production.
How We Do It?
We use Machine Learning processes to generate our daily forecast and buying decisions. We focus on Time Series models for predicting customer demand. We support the Data Science team with Data Engineering and Software Engineer resources to ensure the Data Science team can focus on building the best models. Our goal is to apply cutting edge models into our production environment, using a deep understanding of the e-commerce business domain to demonstrate results in production. We join big thinking with a pragmatic approach to measuring results.
Our systems are built on Hadoop and Spark, with forecasting models implemented in Python using SciPy, NumPy, etc. Our Automated Buying systems combine machine learning with human oversight. Data Scientists work with a cross-functional team of Engineers, Analysts and Product Owners to build world-class systems that keep our Supply Chain running smoothly.
- Lead SCM Data Science Team:
- Guide Data Scientists and Data Analysts to solutions that solve business challenges in comprehensive and sustainable manner
- Lead engineering team to enhance our Machine Learning platform
- Establish research roadmap to align with stakeholder KPIs
- Own Forecast accuracy KPIs and demonstrate improvement to top leadership
- Develop vision and roadmap of future projects using cutting edge trends in Machine Learning and Data Science
- Hiring and Development responsibility for SCM Data Science team
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Math, Computer Science or related Engineering field
- 7-10 years relevant working experience in Data Science or Machine Learning
- 2+ years experience leading team of Data Scientists
- Solid foundation in Predictive Modeling (Regression, ARIMA, GLM, LSTM, etc)
- Practical Machine Learning experience (Data Preprocessing, Feature Selection / Engineering, Training, Model Evaluation)
- Experience building models with R or Python
- Hands-on experience with Time Series prediction
- Supply Chain domain experience