Senior Director, Engineering (Coupang Eats)
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Coupang Eats is a new territory explored by Coupang, we deliver quality food and beverages from restaurants and cafes to customer hand with fast delivery. As engineering organization, we build end to end ecosystem for customer, merchants, courier, operators, sales and business marketing:
- Build with exciting tech stacks. - Cloud Native (AWS), MSA, Spring boot, WebFlux, React JS, Vue JS, CSS3, HTML5, JPA, Elastic stack, Docker, Kafka, Redis, MySQL, Cassandra, native mobile development.
- Obsesses over site reliability to guarantee an effortless shopping experience.
- Truly global, with teams located at Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing and Bay area
Our vision is to build a trusted eCommerce platform by obsessing over reliable and effortless shopping experience, through a highly productive engineering team.
What You Will Do
As Senior Engineering Director for Coupang Eats, you will be responsible for overseeing entire Eats engineering services including customer product, merchant operations, essential logistic services keep this business unit economy sustainable, and marketing, operation, etc. You need to closely partner with business stakeholders and deliver aim high growth goal.
In this role, you will:
- Build and manage a highly efficient and expert organization for Coupang Eats.
- Align with stakeholders and lead engineers on mission critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Envision roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Eats ecosystem.
- Drive the highest quality of architecture and design of services.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions.
- Deep-dive and handle critical system issues.
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech teams to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovations.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 10+ years of experience in designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available services developed in Java and database environment
- At least 5+ years for leading an engineering team handling large volume of data transactions
- Proven track record of leading teams for delivering mission critical systems
- Ability to relocate to Seoul for this opportunity
- Ability to think strategically, with exceptional skills in diving deep and raising for engineering excellence
- Experience with cloud computing with AWS
- Experience in Food or Grocery Delivery, e-commerce or O2O industry
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Recruitment Process and Others
- Recruitment Process
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
- Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Privacy Notice
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
- Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.