Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Location: Seoul HQ
The Product Engineering organization oversees the end-to-end customer shopping experience. The team is responsible for and offers services for the full customer journey - logging into the Coupang app, browsing products on the Gateway, visiting a product page to check product details, adding the product to the cart, checking out, and posting a review. Our mission is to design and develop a system to make the services scalable and reliable. We also design and provide APIs for front-end services and use them to develop customer-facing front pages for various platforms. We ensure these systems maintain the highest degree of reliability.
Imagine a system processing millions of traffics in a single day and the millions of customers using it!. Our biggest challenge and mission is to build a robust platform and service that remains intact in spite of a surge in traffic.
As a Sr. Principal Software Engineer, your role is the main engineer and key architect who is responsible for designing and developing complex components and distributed systems. You will take all actions to ensure the customer-facing system reliable and work with best-in-class colleagues to improve the system. With your strong knowledge of web programming, you will design sophisticated and reliable back-end systems by managing large-scale traffics and transactions and create a roadmap to develop them into scalable systems. One of your key roles is to understand complex business requirements and implement them after simplification.
You will be responsible for designing and developing all customer-facing services of Coupang where the system is composed of MSA and Cloud Native. You will develop a long-term roadmap to manage and improve this large and complex system. This will be an experience you will not have anywhere else. You will also have an opportunity to better understand the advantages and disadvantages of various Cloud services and MSA and address a good number of challenges. You will be responsible for providing a variety of platforms that facilitate business development and maintenance work.
- Understand the lifecycle of software development and design/improve the system as a main architect of the Product Engineering team
- Lead critical projects to solve complex business issues partnering with Product Owners, stakeholders, and designers
- Lead system design reviews and code reviews to ensure the team complies with the standards and maintains high-quality code
- Engage in design discussion with senior engineers and design a high-level architecture of distributed systems.
- Develop and implement a mid/long term roadmap to improve Frontend System that the Product Engineering team oversees.
- Simplify multiple, complex technical and business issues and solve them with clear solutions.
- Handle critical systemic issues and deep dive to solve them.
- Enhance the Engineering Excellence of the organization and continue the efforts for improvement.
- Design and develop systems (such as monitoring systems, platforms and testing platforms) that improve productivity and efficiency of domain development teams.
- Collaborate with other development teams to make services more robust and scalable, and create/implement opportunities for innovating the system.
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Computer Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in software design and development
- Experience in delivering critical projects by leading development or project teams
- Experience in Java and Spring and strong fundamentals in designing and coding in other advanced languages
- Keen interest in and passion for developing customer services and businesses
- Experience in AWS
- Experience in designing, building, maintaining and improving large-scale services
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- A team player who actively communicates with colleagues