Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Coupang Private Label Brands (CPLB) seeks an energetic, passionate and motivated Data Scientist, whose primary role will be helping us to discover information which may be hidden in vast amounts of company data. In turn, this will help us to make smarter decisions and to wow our customers.
This position is responsible for supervising and directing data processing within CPLB, scientific modeling, and materialization of the developed models in production systems by identifying relevant data sources, extracting data, leveraging statistical tools and methods, and discussing and presenting results to leadership to drive company strategy. Immediate areas of influence include selection identification and pricing activities.
What You Will Do
- Develop and manage CPLB data requirements
- Coordinate with relevant teams and business to setup data collection points
- Assess the company-level data collection systems and decide on data collection schemes and methods
- Discuss alternative models and their relevance with the leadership team
- Train others on relevant models where required, using scientific materials
- Analyze and assess the results of any models used
- Setup necessary data testing requirements
- Monitor testing results and progress
- Analyze the results to gather insight and iterate on further improvements
- Present the results and methods with the team domain, as well as across the company and related organizations
- Transfer any models used to other team members and assist with taking necessary steps to address issues
- Create comprehensive documentation regarding work done
- Comprehend a vaguely defined business problem and define it as a standardized problem
- Where required, assign tasks to other members based on skills and expertise
- Keep up to date with new technologies and methodology developments within all appropriate fields
- Participate in company-level strategic road mapping and provide necessary insights from a data-driven perspective
- Define and guide other teams on data science strategy
- Keep track of strategy execution, and be accountable for any deviations from agreed strategic approach
- Educated to masters’ degree-level (minimum) in Maths, Statistics, Economics or related field
- Experience with SQL, R and/or Python
- Comfortable working with data using statistics
- Strong technical skills
- Intellectually curious, with the ability to solve/add insight to ambiguous problems
- Strong quantitative background
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
- https://rocketyourcareer.kr.coupang.com/privacy-policy (Korea)
- https://rocketyourcareer.usa.coupang.com/privacy-policy (U.S.)
- https://rocketyourcareer.cn.coupang.com/privacy-policy (China)
- Document Return Policy (This notice MUST be included in a job posting in Korea only to comply with the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.)
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.