Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
As a Principal Software Engineer working on Search & Discovery Core Infrastructure, you have the opportunity to work on the core technologies of big data processing like Hive/HBase/Spark/Kafka, and search service like Lucene/Solr. You will identify and solve hard problems to improve the system scalability, enhance the reliability, as well as optimize the resource efficiency. In addition, we have initiatives to push our systems beyond the limits like real-time indexing and serving millions of products, and your ideas and experience would help us achieve the goal.
What You Will Do
- Develop cutting edge technologies to redefine our systems to handle information retrieval at massive scale, and build world-class indexing and serving platform to power various products like search, recommendation, and personalization
- Work closely with other search and discovery teams such as search ranking and recommendation to enable a new intelligent Coupang and accelerate our company growth. Our mission is to make Coupang the first place for people to search and discover products, and core infrastructure is the foundation for this ambitious vision
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Mathematics or equivalent
- 8+ years of solid work with fundamental algorithms, system design, and large distributed systems
- 8+ years of coding experience with Java and Python
- 2+ years hands-on experience to build big data processing platform
- Experience with handling large data volumes in a distributed environment – ideally with both backend data processing and web tier data management
- Ability and desire to drive solid design work on multi-threaded/multi-process, distributed system
- A passion to explore, improve, automate and optimize distributed systems and tools
- Ability to think outside-the-box and challenge conventional wisdoms
- Master's Degree or PhD in Computer Science or related Engineering majors
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.