Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Location: Seoul HQ
Product Engineering Mission
The Product Engineering organization oversees the end-to-end customer shopping experience. The team is responsible for and offers services for the full customer journey - logging into the Coupang app, browsing products on the Gateway, visiting a product page to check product details, adding the product to the cart, checking out, and posting a review. Our mission is to design and develop a system to make the services scalable and reliable. We also design and provide APIs for front-end services and use them to develop customer-facing front pages for various platforms such as mobile app, pc, and mobile web. We ensure these systems maintain the highest degree of reliability.
Imagine a system processing millions of traffics in a single day and the millions of customers using it! Our biggest challenge and mission is to build a robust platform and service that remains intact in spite of a surge in traffic.
As a leader of global teams, a Frontend Engineering Director will lead Frontend engineers in Shanghai, Beijing, and Seoul. You will develop, release, and manage key front pages (including webview for the PC/ mobile web and app) that meet business requirements. You will migrate pages in the legacy system to a new web platform based on the short, mid, and long-term strategies. In the process, you will closely work with Product leaders and domain team leaders. You will also hire front-end engineers to expand the team and coach them to create a stronger front-end engineering organization.
- Work as a leader of Frontend engineers distributed globally. Manage the global development organization and grow the organization further.
- Own Coupang’s core Front pages (login, home, product listing, product details, SDP, cart, order receipt, etc.), run them smoothly, and work closely with leaders of Product teams and domain development teams.
- Keep services stable and deliver products. Draft a mid and long-term roadmap to turn Coupang’s PC and mobile web front system to the next level and build a flexible and scalable platform based on the roadmap.
- Work with POs and engineering leadership to set priorities of projects and tasks and support the projects and tasks for the successful delivery of business results.
- Mentor and coach managers and engineers for their growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience in software development for enterprise system building
- 3+ years of experience in managing teams
- Keen Interest in and passion for developing customer services and businesses
- Experience in designing, building, managing, and improving large-scale services
- Analytical ability to identify main culprits and solve issues
- A team player who actively communicate with colleagues
- Expertise in Frontend page performance and experience in resolving multiple issues