Coupang is the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
As our legal counsel for China, the attorney is responsible for providing advice to Coupang business team in all areas of commercial law, policy, development and training with key stakeholders. The attorney functions as a key strategic advisor and partner of business team in China and serves as a critical link between the business functions. The attorney identifies and implements standard methodologies for improving compliance with domestic and international commercial law. This person will also partner with all stakeholders to develop and implement strategies, policies, and procedures to align with emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Legal Director of Coupang China. The position requires an excellent teammate who can work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment. Occasional travel will be required.
What You Will Do
- Provide advice and counsel on commercial transactions of Coupang’s cross-border ecommerce business;
- Conduct legal research by studying proposed and existing laws and statutes to ensure compliance with such laws.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations;
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advise on possible legal issues;
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights;
- Prepare, direct and conduct training programs on contract management and negotiation; for example, commercial law updates, key points to pay attention in commercial negotation and contract execution;
- Counsel Coupang business teams in China on various commercial matters;
- Review and provide mentorship on drafting and development of company policies and procedures;
- Respond to administrative claims from government agencies and settlement demands, defend commercial disputes, including leading outside counsel in litigations;
- Assist in developing, implementing, improving and reviewing regulatory compliance projects and training;
- Review and provide input on policies, procedures and specific cases which are impacted by legislation;
- Effectively collaborate with global colleagues, both in Korea and in the US to provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global perspectives and needs.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English required;
- Embodying Coupang’s leadership principles and a culture carrier of these principles;
- Qualified in the People’s Republic of China. Qualification in a major common law jurisdiction (e.g. a US jurisdiction, England, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australia) preferred but not a must;
- 10+ years’ post-qualification experience, shown corporate and commercial law experience, both counseling and litigation. Mixed experience working for a MNC and top law firm is a plus;
- Developed business insight, with ability to understand the company’s business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings;
- Extraordinary analytical ability and advocacy skills, excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills, and the ability to drive execution;
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in all interactions with senior management, corporate departments and all levels of employees;
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful, and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced environment;
- Be able to accommodate both domestic and international travels;
- Driven, high integrity, self-motivating, humble, adaptable, excellent judgment, strong sense of humor, and love for adventure and fun.
Privacy Notice (China)
Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.