Director Strategic Planning
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
- Strategic Planning department is focused on driving Coupang’s strategic projects and initiatives across the company
- End-to-end responsibility: from diagnostic and strategy development to execution and accountability for quarterly goals
- High exposure to COO/CEO and various business leaders depending on the focus project
- Define strategy and set strategic goals across various parts of the business depending on the current company priorities
- Address key strategic questions through analytical frameworks and insights to inform key decisions based on thorough analysis of relevant data sources and diving deep
- Co-drive existing business goals and often be responsible for end-to-end project execution: from strategy to implementation
- Lead end-to-end new strategic initiatives from opportunity identification to bringing the idea into life
- Ruthlessly prioritize to reach the goal in the shortest time balancing between short-term and speed vs long-term and sustainable solutions
- Work with cross-functional teams including commercial, operations, product, engineering, finance, analytics and marketing, etc. to accelerate delivery of the plans that were built
- Communicate findings and insights to diverse audiences - from senior leaders to subject matter experts
- Be a strategic thought partner to team members in different parts of the business
- 8-10 years of strategic or/and business development experience (e.g. strategy consulting, investment banking, private equity, corporate strategy and business development, FP&A)
- Experience in challenging problem solving, deep diving into an issue, identifying root-causes and suggesting realistic solutions
- Strong business sense and “nose for value”, high attention to detail and can-do attitude
- Experience synthesizing information quickly, distilling key takeaways, and presenting insights to senior leadership
- Experience working with large sets of structured and unstructured data and synthesizing into business insights
- High standards and a bias toward action
- Expert communication and interpersonal skills, must be able to run meetings and work streams with senior leadership across the company
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize workload and achieve effective results in fast-paced and dynamic environment; effective multi-tasking skills are vital
- Leadership experience, preferably having managed a team of at least 3 direct reports
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Excel and Power Point
- BA / BS degree
- Bilingual Korean and English (working proficiency)
- MBA / MS degree
- Previous experience in e-commerce, retail tech and retail
- SQL / Tableau experience is a plus
Recruitment Process and Others
- Recruitment Process
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job, and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
- Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Privacy Notice
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located HERE.
- Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.