Head of Operations Data Science Programs
Coupang is one of the fastest growing consumer internet platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ Powered by innovative technology and operations, we have set out to transform the customer experience journey – from revolutionizing last mile delivery to rethinking how customers search and discover on a truly mobile platform. We have been named one of the ‘50 Smartest Companies in the World’ by MIT Technology Review and we are one of Forbes magazine’s ‘30 Global Game Changers’.
About the team:
We are building a team of senior strategists to partner with our operations function to deliver scalable solutions within Coupang’s global operations. This Global Operations Data Science Program Management team will partner with operations across the entire network from Fulfillment centers for both core and fresh, Hubs, Logistics Camps to last mile delivery. This team will be embedded in each of the key operations functions and will work along them to improve the process efficiency, align on key input metrics to focus on and drive key projects that impact the throughput and ultimately the cost across the network. Alongside, they will develop and run multiple simulations on what if scenarios, build models to simulate actual process outputs and drive informed decision making, write algorithms to deliver automated optimized solutions for pricing for flexible workers and other processes.
We are in search of leaders who can identity innovative ways of resolving some of the most pressing operational challenges facing Coupang.
This role will lead the new Operations Data Science Program Management team that Coupang Operations Team is trying to establish. Success of Coupang is hugely dependent on optimizing the efficiency of supply chain including fulfillment, hubs and logistics operations, making Coupang the industry leader in cost and efficiency. In this role, you will build and lead, a team of accomplished data scientists, who will partner with Finance, Operations, Procurement leaders for the entire end to end Coupang network operations. Your team will offer expertise in applying data science approach to Operations Research and Industrial Engineering and ultimately program manage the key initiatives. This partnership will lead to identifying bottlenecks and weakest links in operations. The leader and the team will also be responsible for applying these finding to build practical solutions that will improve efficiency and reduce costs.
What you will do:
- You will hire and lead a team of data scientists that will embed with the business teams and take ownership of improving operational and cost efficiencies
- You will partner with Operations and Finance teams to review current practices
- You and team will apply data science principles to take a deep dive with the intent of driving measurable process improvements
- You and the team will provide technical leadership in Data Science to design improved processes and algorithms
- You will use IE and OR expertise to solve real world logistics problems
- You will interface with Executive Leadership to understand Coupang’s vision and direction and lead appropriate process changes
What you will bring:
- 10+ years of experience of doing cutting edge work in Data Science, logistics, supply chain operations and Operations Research
- Demonstrated experience of studying large quantities of data to improve operational efficiency and reduce costs.
- 5+ years of experience in leading a team of outstanding data scientists
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering with advanced education (PhD preferred) in combination of Data Science, Industrial engineering and Operations Research
- Deep experience in Transportation, Logistics, Supply Chain and E-commerce industries
- Education in Data Science and Industrial Engineering or Operations Research. Ability to communicate effectively across the organizational structure.