Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
As our Head of Engineering for Search Quality for our Search & Discovery team, you will be responsible for leading multiple teams of engineers to globally to improve the search quality. A successful candidate will have an established background in information retrieval, search relevance, natural language understanding, machine learning and large scale structured data processing. You will hire and lead search quality teams globally. With its innovative technology and operational know-how, Coupang is transforming the entire customer experience. Our global Search and Discovery team in is key to this transformation and tasked with creating an amazing search, discovery and shopping experience for all our Customers. We are obsessed about improving every step of the user experience, from the moment customers sign up for a new Coupang account in our mobile app or website to finding the product they’re looking for, making the purchase, and picking up the delivery items at their front door.
What You Will Do
- Manage overall search quality end to end, from understanding customer query, offline creating ranking signals, building search experiment framework to tuning core search ranking algorithm.
- Define long term strategy and vision for Coupang search quality to wow customers, develop and communicate goals and roadmap.
- Define and improve key search quality metrics.
- Establish best practice to improve search quality and promote it across the whole organization.
- Refine experiment launch review process to increase the throughput of experiments and ensure the quality of experiments by insisting highest standard.
- Recruit and coach individual contributors and managers globally, develop search quality talents, maintain a world class engineering team.
- Advocate search quality and promote understanding of search quality across the company.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science with 5+ years experience working on Search Relevance, Query Understanding and Information Retrieval.
- 8+ years of experience building large distributed web-based systems and experience in C++ and/or Java programming.
- 2+ years experience managing global software development teams with track records of successful delivery.
- Excellent understanding of information retrieval, established skill at search relevance, query understanding and machine learning
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- Able to operate autonomously to manage projects in a fast-paced environment and remain focused amidst frequently changing requirements.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc
- Strong knowledge/ experience of ML in search domain
- Hands on experience with Search Infrastructure, Search Ranking or Recommendation Systems
- A track record of communicating well with executives and non-technical leaders
- Able to pitch and hold in depth discussions with the C-level stakeholders
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.