Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Coupang’s Retail organization, which oversees Rocket Delivery business, is at the heart of the company’s growth and source of customer trust.
The successful candidate will lead a sales team that is responsible for acquiring new selections onto Coupang’s Rocket Service (retail business) and successfully onboarding them onto Rocket through negotiation and supplier communication. The Director will be responsible for maximizing the success rate of acquisition by transforming the current BM team into an efficient salesforce. He/she will stand up a new function within the Retail organization, developing sales and acquisition strategies, providing resources and tools for negotiation to drive target sales. Strong understanding of sales development analytics and infrastructure is a must, as establishing the function will involve close collaboration with data and engineering to design models, tooling and workflows required to support demand.
Additionally, we are seeking a visionary leader who enjoys building from the ground up and leveraging their expertise and creativity to design what’s next. Ideal candidates will have experience building and managing scaled sales teams, recognizing patterns of success (and failure) quickly, and working cross-functionally. Success in this position requires a passion for leadership, strong analytical skills, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment.
What You Will Do
- Create long term strategic vision for New Selection Acquisition sales team, and execute incremental plans to achieve it
- Work with the Selection Planning team on identifying target selection / suppliers and on constantly improving targeting
- Expand Retail product selection via successful negotiations with Retail suppliers
- Constantly improve item / supplier win rate and increase throughput of selection acquisition
- Achieve assigned targets, drive target sales and contribute to business growth
- Drive innovation, entrepreneurship, and “thinking big”
- Think outside of the box to solve complex problems and use trends and competitive analysis to define and implement long term business strategies
- Collaborate on new data models, tooling, automation, and infrastructure (i.e. leads management system)
- People leadership responsibilities including developing Team Leaders, building organizational structures, incentive plans, recruiting, training, development
- Build strong working relationships with leaders across Coupang teams (e.g. product, engineering, category leaders, marketing, business development, human resources, business planning/operations and finance)
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10+ years experience in sales, sales management, and/or operations
- 5+ years team/people leadership experience including recruiting, training, and development
- Proven ability to negotiate with suppliers with a successful win-win outcome
- Demonstrated experience with analytical businesses, strong quantitative skills
- Proven experience organizing, influencing and communicating cross-functionally
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to make successful presentations to senior leadership on a regular basis
- Bilingual in Korean and English
- Global experience (including work outside of Korea, or working with global companies)
- MBA or Master’s Degree
- Experience working with executive leadership in rapidly growing and evolving organizations
- Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Experience working with lead sourcing and management software (e.g. Salesforce)
Recruitment Process and Others
- Recruitment Process
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
- Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Privacy Notice
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
- Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (email@example.com) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Ac