Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
Reporting to the Head of User Experience (UX), the Director of UX Research will be a core member of the UX leadership team, responsible for managing the research required to conceive and deliver a best-in-class customer experience. S/he will be expected to plan innovative research programs and employ the latest research methodologies to analyze customer behavior to derive actionable insights for product innovation. With its innovative technology and operational know-how, Coupang is transforming the entire customer experience. The Product UX team in Seoul and is key to this transformation, tasked with creating an amazing search, discovery and shopping experience for all our Customers. We are obsessed about improving every step of the user experience, from the moment customers sign up for a new Coupang account in our mobile app or website to finding the product they’re looking for, making the purchase, and picking up the delivery items at their front door.
What You Will Do
- Develop and own the overall qualitative/quantitative research strategy and roadmap.
- Manage a high performing team of 20+ UX Researchers to conduct strategic and tactical UX research across all phases of the product development cycle.
- Analyze and interpret customer behavior to inform wider business strategy.
- Employ latest research methodologies to improve research quality and reliability.
- Help shape the future state of products/categories by driving product decisions through the provision of actionable insights, collaborating with cross-functional teams (UX, Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Fulfillments).
- Manage research vendors and provide guidance to outsourced projects.
- Build capability within the wider team, raising standards and act as a leadership role model.
- Bachelor's degree in Cognitive Psychology, HCI, Computer Science, Ethnography or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience managing a high performing team of UX Researchers within a tier 1 technology company.
- 10+ years of experience employing qualitative and quantitative research methodologies within a consumer-orientated business model
- Background in UX Research, Market Research, Consumer Analysis, Usability Testing, Strategic Analysis, etc
- Closely partnered with Design and Product owners to develop strategy and rationale for features
- Ability to collaborate with various organizations and communicate effectively
- Able to pitch and hold in depth discussions with the C-level stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, both in English and Korean
- Ability to conduct efficient research planning within a fast-paced, agile environment where resources and time must be prioritized effectively
- Hands-on; able to solve issues by deep diving and logically deriving insights via multiple data sources
- Able to operate autonomously to manage projects in a fast-paced environment and remain focused amidst frequently changing requirements
- Domain knowledge of the e-commerce and/or food delivery sectors or understanding of the complexities of a marketplace/consumer platform model
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.