Principal Java Engineer
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our vision is to create a world in which Customers ask, “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
Principal Engineers at Coupang manage all phases of technical projects. They oversee the product's or project’s conception, design and initial product specifications and manage scheduling, estimating and securing materials. They draft and execute construction contracts, track project progress. Principal engineers also conduct engineering studies and investigations and prepare reports for company leadership. They also provide engineering guidance to other departments, help to train new engineers and keep abreast of industry trends and issues.
You will be engaged in the entire agile development process from participating in story estimation, feature design discussions and planning, implementation and releasing. You will design and implement system architecture and have primary responsibility for code quality. Your focus is not only on functionality, but on performance, security and data validation. You should provide the final recommendation to a technical trade-off.
As a Principal Engineer in S&D Measurement Team, you will have the opportunity to develop debugging and experiment platforms closely integrated with world-class Search and Recommendation Systems. Your work will be critical to S&D in terms of productivity improvement and result quality assurance. To succeed in this role, you need to be customer centric, be curious about how data flows in ranking systems, and be eager to help customers improve their productivity.
- Actively dive deep into Search and Recommendation related systems. Design and architect debugging / measurement platforms.
- Tech leader for organization-wide project and drive that to success
- Key contributor for critical and complicated system troubleshooting
- Conduct design and code review to ensure compliance with standards
- Share best practices and improve processes within or across agile teams, mentor junior developers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or related field
- 7 years+ of experience with Java development and worked on distributed system.
- 5 years+ of experience developing medium to large scale enterprise and MVC web applications.
- Solid experiences in data driven systems, sensitive to metrics calculation and visualization
- Strong Java skills and be able to generalize customer needs from different teams and design in a scalable and platform way.
- Tracked record in performance and productivity improvement
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills with English
- Able to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment. Self-driven.
- Experiences in e-commerce industry
- Experiences in Search/Recommendation related infrastructure
- Experiences designing system including front end
- Comprehensive experiences on data structure and algorithm.
- Know Korean.
- Experiences in AWS, EC2