A Senior Director at Coupang leads a group of talented engineers working on features to create a world that our customer can’t live without. You will have a strong technical and people management background to create a team of smart and mission-oriented problem solvers. You will drive the future of systems that are distributed, highly scalable, efficient, highly reliable and productive. You will provide technical leadership to your team helping them make sound design tradeoffs balancing tactical and strategic plans.
As a senior leader of Purchase Funnel, you lead the most critical domains in Coupang - item details, shopping cart and checkout! To succeed in this role, you must have focus to conceive products/features that matter to customers and have the deep technical vision to attract the best engineering talent. You must be self-driven to coach your engineers in their career development and grow them.
What you will do:
- Lead the high caliber engineer team working on building scalable, reliable and efficient purchase funnel services
- Hire and develop senior leaders (SDM and engineers) to level up org
- Build successful global team by delivering strong ownership and aligned vision.
- Work with senior leaders to build platform vision, define the roadmap and refine architecture of the systems you own
- Identify the platform, engineering excellence, domain and resource gaps and aim high to find a way to close the gap.
- Work with Product Owner(s) and/or key stakeholders to understand requirements, set priorities, build the roadmap, and deliver results
- Delivering thin slices of functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops in a lean process
- Own definition, measurement, and reporting of operational metrics
- Drive improvements of engineering and operational excellence
What you will bring:
- 10+ years of hands-on OO programming experience within a large scale, highly available, cloud-based environment (AWS preferred)
- 5+ years managing software development team including managers
- 5+ years hands on coding including system architecture experience
- Track of records on deliver complex system and simplify complicated business problems with proper design
- Rich experiences on building high-performance microservices
- Experiences in OSS: ElasticSearch/Cassandra/Kafka/Zookeeper/Redis/etc
- Deep experience building high quality software with the Agile process: Software design, TDD, code review, QA process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Loves to explain the technology and has a gift for concisely explaining complex topics
- Proficiency with Java programming
- Experiences in Mobile based services and architecture
- Experience building and operating highly scalable and highly available web services
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experiences in system reliability tuning
- Experiences in eCommerce and purchase funnel
- Experience in supporting huge volume surges in transactions on purchase platform - events like Black Friday Sell or New Years Eve would add a great value