Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
As the Head of Coupang’s Site Reliability team, this role will focus on building solution design and architecture at both service and backend level with accountability on service availability, reliability and scalability on Cloud Infrastructure helping improve system efficacies, scalability and performance improvements at 10X scale. This role will be responsible for diving deep into current system architectures, understanding current customer pain points, system domain, current Platform limitations (if exists) and then work closely with engineering teams / leaders to design and architect new system / services that can scale 10X better, is reliable, and is highly available. The includes providing system architecture artifacts, accountability on cloud tech and infrastructure stack. You will be part of a Global team working from different locations but still works as a central connected unit.
This role will possess a strong blend of technical, architect, hands on with leadership skills blended with result-oriented culture to deliver to needs of business at speed of light.
The person in this role will be dedicated to review critical services design, architecture reviews, re-architect, set performance benchmark, tuning and owner to work with specific system team on fundamental design improvements, track incidents to close architecturally, and work with domain team to close functionally.
- Serve as a hands-on leader and a cloud solution architect on Coupang’s Cloud Platform team.
- 100% accountable for quality of solution architecture and design of system / Platform on availability, scalability and performance benchmarks.
- Solves complex technical problems in our Cloud environment with expert judgement with strong ability to deep dive to understand current systems and network Cloud architecture layers.
- Analyze complex distributed production deployments and recommend ways to optimize performance and/or automate processes by managing continuous integration servers, utilizing and enhance monitoring and testing tools.
- Identify opportunities to make disruptive improvements in cloud infrastructure services with high degree of systematic automation.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance (millisecond latencies), scalability, availability (99.99% up-time), enterprise architecture best practices
- Should be able to dive deep to come up with new solutions that helps solving systems bigger problems by simplifying system architecture and help increase productivity & efficiency or every Engineer & system in the company.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical capabilities, and attention to detail
- Strong cultural change management experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 15+ years of Software engineering or Site Reliability Engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience leading system design, architecture leveraging Cloud services
- 5+ years of experience in building high-performance, highly available and scalable distributed systems in the cloud.
- 3+ years of experience mentoring engineers to success.
- Excellent cross-group collaboration, outstanding verbal and written communication.
- AWS Certification, Developing on AWS, and/or AWS Architect
- 3+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level Software Engineer / Site Reliability Engineer
- Excellent cross-group collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrated virtual team leadership capabilities
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.