Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are not only doing this for Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets, but also expand our technologies and services to global market to shape more customers day to day shopping experiences.
About eCommerce Engineering
eCommerce Engineering aims to reshape our customer’s shopping experience, ultimately making them say, “How did I ever live without Coupang”. Created by strong engineering team from different skillsets out of Seoul and China, eCommerce Engineering is evolving at an unparalleled pace to become the world class eCommerce Platform in the markets we serve.
eCommerce Engineering owns the Coupang core ecommerce services, as well as the new business services Coupang constantly invest to wow our customers, like Coupang Eats, Coupang Fresh...etc. Our vision is to build the world class eCommerce Platform by obsessing over reliable and effortlessly shopping experiences, through a highly productive engineering team. Our core values are Customer Focus, Ownership and Collaborative.
As Head of Front-end Engineering for eCommerce Engineering team, you will be responsible for leading teams of mobile engineers and web engineers regionally to help us provide a delightful cross-platform client experience. A successful candidate will have an established background in mobile app development, engineering leadership and is comfortable wearing multiple hats as technical lead, architect and engineering executive.
In this role, you will:
- Build and manage a true global & highly efficient and expert Front Engineering organization for eCommerce Engineering and Coupang.
- Align with stakeholders and lead engineers on mission critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Establish a vision to renovate front engineering services and continually envision the roadmaps to build the productive and scalable Front Engineering Org.
- Drive the high quality of architecture and design of services.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions.
- Deep-dive and handle critical system issues.
- Monitor and understand the key metrics governing the Front product area, with an eye toward continuously improving them through ongoing product innovation;
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech teams to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovations.
- 5+ years senior management experience, including managing managers;
- At least 10+ years of experience in designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available services developed in Java/mobile/web environment
- At least 5+ years for leading an engineering team handling large volume of data transactions, building mobile applications with large customer adoptions
- Track of records of delivering large scale mission critical projects;
- Passion for delivering the best user experience possible on mobile and web;
- Familiar with agile development;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent from a fully accredited college or university.
- Ability to relocate to Seoul for this opportunity
Traits and Competencies
- Ability to think strategically, with exceptional skills in diving deep and raising for engineering excellence
- Able to operate autonomously to manage projects in a fast-paced environment and remain focused amidst frequently changing requirements;
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings
- Able to pitch and hold in depth discussions with the C-level stakeholders.
- Prior experience in eCommerce space;
- Prior strong experiences in leading multi-region mobile organization