Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
As our Senior Director of Engineering for Search Quality for our Search & Discovery team, you will be responsible for leading multiple teams of engineers to globally to improve the search quality. A successful candidate will have an established background in information retrieval, search relevance, natural language understanding, machine learning and large scale structured data processing. You will hire and lead search quality teams globally.
- Responsible for the overall search quality end to end, from understanding customer query, offline creating ranking signals, building search experiment framework to tuning core search ranking algorithm
- Define long term strategy and vision for Coupang search quality to wow customers, develop and communicate goals and roadmap
- Define and improve key search quality metrics
- Establish best practice to improve search quality and promote it across the whole organization
- Refine experiment launch review process to increase the throughput of experiments and ensure the quality of experiments by insisting highest standard
- Recruit and coach individual contributors and managers globally, develop search quality talents, maintain a world class engineering team
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments
- Advocate search quality and promote understanding of search quality across the company
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science
- At least 5 years experience working on Search Relevance, Query Understanding and Information Retrieval. And excellent understanding of information retrieval, established skill at search relevance, query understanding and machine learning
- At least 8 years of experience building large distributed web based systems and experience in C++ and/or Java programming.
- Experience delivering large, cross-functional, projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- At least 2 years experience managing global software development teams with track records of successful delivery
- A track record of communicating well with executives and non-technical leaders
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing company
- 18 days PTO + 12 national holidays off
- 401K matching
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Mobile & fitness reimbursement
- Flexible working hours
- Catered lunches
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.