Corvus is looking to add a General Counsel to our team. This is a newly-created role where you will lead the strategic and tactical legal initiatives for Corvus as we continue experiencing rocketship growth. Our ideal General Counsel has deep expertise in commercial insurance law and understands how to enable the business to achieve its objectives while preserving and protecting the company’s integrity and reputation in a high-growth environment.
With your deep expertise in commercial insurance, you will also provide strategic guidance of our Claims and Smart Breach Response team. You understand that the brokers and policyholder's claims experience with Corvus may influence whether or not that broker will continue to work with us on future deals. With our increased claims handling authority and the potential of building our own captive, the claims team efficacy directly impacts our profitability. For those reasons, you know how to empower Claims and Smart Breach Response teams to delight our brokers and policyholders. This role will also provide proactive and collaborative legal support in connection with the commercial insurance contracts of Corvus as well as legal advice to functional teams such as sales, marketing, underwriting and information security, HR and Finance.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and interpret a wide range of complex corporate agreements including, but not limited to: Risk Capital Partner Agreements, Brokerage Agreements, API Agreements, Reinsurance Agreements, and NDAs
- Draft commercial insurance policy forms and policy language for our insurance products
- Provide strategic planning leadership for the use of CrowBar (the digital app of Corvus) to provide improved claims services to clients
Manage claims handling and breach response team and processes
- Work with Head of Software Product and Head of Data Science to prioritize Claims Analytics for internal and external use
- Analyze loss ratio and claim information resulting in recommendations to underwriting team for improved pricing strategies
- Oversee and lead the Smart Breach Response and Claims teams to deliver experiences that delight our policyholders and brokers
- This requires coming up with innovative customer-centric solutions that are scalable, repeatable and impactful to our customers
- Support all your direct reports and team members on their career growth and development
- Oversee several legal filing including, but not limited to; Surplus Lines Tax, Admitted Filings and other Insurance filings
Corporate Contract Management; create a legal summary for key contracts so that there is a shared understanding of key legal terms throughout the business
- Collaborate with Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) and SVP, Finance to mitigate Enterprise Risk for Corvus
- Work with the finance team to manage outside legal resources and budget
- Advise executive members on new laws and existing laws
- Maintain knowledge of the company's legal documents and operations
- Must have at least 10 years experience in commercial insurance law including at least 5 years at a major law firm that serves commercial insurers and 5 years at a major insurance company
- Prefer experience with commercial insurance finance transactions and with MGUs and delegated authority are highly preferred
- Deep expertise in commercial insurance agreements mentioned above
- Strong leadership ability to oversee a high-functioning, high caliber Claims and Smart Breach Response team
- Experience supporting a high-growth company that operates in multiple states and jurisdictions throughout the US. Any experience with international operations, particularly in APAC, Australia, UK, or EMEA would be preferred.
- Self-starter who can work well independently while establishing and building strong cross-functional partnerships
Corvus provides a seriously safe nest for people who come from all paths. Our flock represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Although confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job, we believe there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Corvus is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. And please check out what it's like to be a Corvid and our amazing benefits: https://www.corvusinsurance.com/life-at-corvus
Covid-19 Response: We look forward to inviting Corvids into our offices when it’s safe and they are comfortable. That said, Corvus has always embraced a hybrid work environment with a flexible policy that empowers our employees to decide what is best for their own health and wellbeing. We’re committed to continuing this environment into the future.
Corvus is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation with our hiring process due to a disability, contact us at 857-259-3995 or email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Bird puns are highly encouraged!