Senior UX Designer
Leading role across a major project
CORGI HomePlan, Dunfermline/Edinburgh
We’re hiring our first user experience people as we modernise and automate the services we offer our customers. It’s an exciting time for us: we’re investing in a digital transformation and have ambitious plans. This is an opportunity to help us collaborate across our organisation to change how we do business, and introduce user-centred design at CORGI.
CORGI HomePlan is in the heating business: we offer a range of services around home insurance, and a network of 4500+ trusted engineers available 24/7 across the UK. We stand for reliability, expertise, and quality — with 90% consumer awareness as a trusted brand.
We provide our customers home comfort and peace of mind.
This role is with CORGI HomeHeat, our new home heating installation business. Heating accounts for over half of most people’s energy bills but they often don’t think about their boiler until it breaks or needs replacing. Our customers tell us buying a boiler is full of delays, hidden costs, and technical jargon. We’re setting out to change that.
We think installing a new boiler should be as straightforward as turning on your central heating. No-one likes dealing with old, inefficient, unreliable boilers, so making it easy to get a new one is essential. We imagine a future where you get same-day installation of a new, energy- efficient boiler which monitors itself and your heating costs, and alerts you before an issue.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll lead service and interface design, introduce user research to the team, and show the value of discovery and co-design.
You’ll work in Edinburgh and collaborate with people across the UK. CORGI is part of the OVO family of companies, learn more at ovoenergy.com/careers and Glassdoor. We were delighted to receive a 2018 Top Employers certificate, and to be named uSwitch's 2019 Supplier of the Year.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
- design and build tools which help us build trust and reputation across the UK
- help the team validate or dismiss the assumptions they’ve had to make so far
- establish a rapid and collaborative design process which involves the whole team
- demonstrate how lean discovery and design work well in agile delivery
- advocate for a test-and-iterate product development culture
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our users. And you’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, user-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the heating insurance industry and our market challenges
- meet our customers and field engineers, and understand the programme of work
- start working straight away on iterating our new boiler purchase journey to increase sales
- pair with your product manager to define and fulfil the product vision and roadmap
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- work alongside our operations team to observe their workflows and frustrations
- spend time with our boiler installation engineers to understand their needs and identify where we might develop tools to make their lives easier
- map out key user journeys and guide your team to create their first service blueprint
- explore creative new opportunities in the smart heating space
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems, user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design, or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace iteration and are comfortable with change
When you join CORGI, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact.
OVO believes in fueling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to always find a better way and challenge the status quo.
From us you’ll get ...
- A competitive salary
- Discretionary performance based bonus (*)
- 4% of your salary to spend on flexible lifestyle benefits (*)
- 5% matched employer contribution to your pension
- 25 days holiday + 1 for your birthday
- Flexible working hours
- And many more...
(*) Please note that certain benefits kick-in once you have passed probation which can be up to 6 months after your start date.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies at ovoenergy.com/careers and Glassdoor. We were delighted to receive a 2019 Top Employers certificate, and to be awarded uSwitch's 2019 Supplier of the Year.
Diverse teams are the best teams
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we decide employment on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.