We’re hiring our first user experience people as we modernise and automate the services we offer our customers. It’s an exciting time for us: we’re investing in a digital transformation and have ambitious plans. This is an opportunity to help us collaborate across our organisation to change how we do business, and introduce user-centred design at CORGI.
CORGI HomePlan is in the heating business: we offer a range of services around home insurance, and a network of 4500+ trusted engineers available 24/7 across the UK. We stand for reliability, expertise, and quality — with 90% consumer awareness as a trusted brand. We provide our customers home comfort and peace of mind.
This role is on the product team responsible for our home insurance platform: the systems we use to organise accounts, coverage, engineer call outs, and maintenance. You’ll help us better understand what we need to do to keep our customers’ homes warm and safe.
We’re building the future of our business and we’ve a lot to do. You’ll join a small team where everyone collaborates on whatever needs doing, working closely with our business analyst to find ways to improve existing workflows and reduce task completion times. You’ll later help us build new tools which redefine the way we work. You’ll lead on service and interface design, introduce user research to the team, and show how valuable discovery and co-design can be.
This is a chance to influence how we work, and take on increasing responsibility.
You’ll work in Dunfermline (we’re planning an Edinburgh office soon), and collaborate with people in Bristol & London. CORGI HomePlan is part of the OVO family of companies, learn more at ovoenergy.com/careers and Glassdoor. We were delighted to receive a 2018 Top Employers certificate, and to be awarded uSwitch's 2019 Supplier of the Year.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds: the more inclusive we are the better our work will be.
We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. And we know 'normal' office hours don't work for everyone, so we're open to discussing flexible working requests. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
- design and build tools so we can offer a better, more cost-effective service
- show how our systems are used in real life, and if they meet our staff’s needs
- establish a rapid and collaborative design process which involves the whole team
- demonstrate how lean discovery and design work well in agile delivery
- advocate for a test-and-iterate product development culture
You’ll define, shape, and deliver live solutions for our users. And you’ll strive to ensure the user experience is consistent, user-centred, and delivers a best-in-industry service.
What you’ll be doing
First three months
- immerse yourself in the heating insurance industry and our market challenges
- meet our customer service staff, and understand the programme of work
- work with our senior product manager to define the product vision, strategy, and roadmap
- pair with developers on design and reviews to ensure feasible and accessible solutions
- get to know your new team, and connect with our wider research and design community
Within six months
- collaborate with other new UX hires to define ways of working and design principles
- map out key user journeys and guide your team to create their first service blueprint
- plan and lead workshops to bring people together and build shared understanding
- show how validating and measuring things leads to better evidence-based decisions
- involve everyone in a culture of collaborative research, design, and testing
You’ll love working with us if you...
- have a passion for understanding real people’s real problems, and an ability to coach the people you work with not to jump to solutions too quickly
- have a critical thinking process and enjoy studying problems to puzzle out the challenges
- recognise assumptions (including your own) and seek ways to try and invalidate them
- have a diverse and evolving toolbox of methods and techniques for visualising problems,user journeys, and interactions, as well as for developing and testing solutions
- are empathetic with colleagues as well as customers, especially when you’re communicating research findings, explaining the rationale behind a design,
or challenging ways of working
- know your strengths, and recognise there’s always more to learn from others
- embrace iteration and are comfortable with change
When you join CORGI, you’ll join our OVO-wide community of researchers and designers. UX at OVO means helping teams see their product through the eyes of real people—understanding their context, motivations, and needs—so we can improve things for everyone.
We use whatever methods and media best suit the challenge, and inform strategic choices about where improvements could have the greatest impact. We love design workshops, are getting people excited about service design, run UX critiques, and put participants at the centre of our research. We fall in love with the problem, not our solutions.
OVO believes in fueling human progress with clean and abundant energy for all. We were set up to challenge the status quo: to be the good ones, always find a way, and build something great. We embrace simplicity, transparency, and treating people and our planet fairly. We understand that attracting and keeping the best talent is key to our forward-thinking future, so our people will always share in our success. Our benefits are nice too.
We want to build teams which represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and we hire on the basis of merit and potential. So get in touch, ask lots of questions.