Corelight is a cybersecurity startup in the network detection and response (NDR) market, based in downtown San Francisco and Columbus, OH. Our technology helps defend some of the world's most sensitive, mission-critical organizations and gives defenders a commanding view of their environment - so they can outsmart and outlast adversaries. Corelight's unfair market advantages include our unique architecture built on open source Zeek, as well as our founding team - which includes Zeek's inventor and its key open source committers. We aim to follow in the footsteps of successful open source security companies such as Sourcefire and Tenable, and help make the world's networks safer.
We are seeking a well-rounded software designer and developer with Linux systems programming and Linux network programming experience for the Appliance Team, the team that maintains, optimizes, and evolves the software platform that supports the Corelight Open NDR appliance.
Appliance Team engineers support the existing product with a custom Linux distribution, and work with other teams to build the next-generation cloud-native products using Kubernetes, Docker and a standard Linux distribution. Corelight engineers have made contributions to open source projects in the course of their work, including the Linux kernel.
- Drive overall software product architecture, working closely with Product and other technical leaders
- Provide technical leadership in planning, design, and implementation
- Evaluate new projects and changes in design for security implications, and work with colleagues resolve issues
- Design and build prototype solutions
- Engage in hands-on, in-depth analysis, review, and design of the software, including technical review and analysis of source code. Will include reviews of in-house developed code, as well as review of technologies provided by third party vendors
- Conduct ongoing analysis of our architecture and designs for products and tooling
- 8+ years of professional development in python, C/C++, and bash
- 8+ years experience with Linux systems programming and Linux network programming
- Extensive networking knowledge and experience
- Experience developing automated tests
- Experience with release and CI/CD tooling
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with virtual machine environments, possibly including AWS EC2 and VMWare
- Ability to balance emerging work with planned work
- Experience with modern packet capture pipelines (e.g., AF_PACKET, DPDK, netmap)
- Network security experience
- Cloud-native development experience
- Contributions to open source projects a plus
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is a clear demonstration of skill, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
Diversity of background and thought makes for better problem solving and more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.