Corelight is a cybersecurity startup in the network detection and response (NDR) market, based in downtown San Francisco and Columbus, OH. Our technology helps defend some of the world's most sensitive, mission-critical organizations and gives defenders a commanding view of their environment - so they can outsmart and outlast adversaries. Corelight's unfair market advantages include our unique architecture built on open source Zeek, as well as our founding team - which includes Zeek's inventor and its key open source committers. We aim to follow in the footsteps of successful open source security companies such as Sourcefire and Tenable, and help make the world's networks safer.
You will be leading our SmartPCAP team. This team is responsible for developing and supporting the SmartPCAP product for our Corelight family of physical and virtual appliances. This role will require an experienced, hands-on, detail oriented, and low ego engineering leader. The right candidate will be self-driven, motivated and want to work with a level of autonomy in the organization.You will report to the Sr Director of Engineering, Sensors.
- Lead and mentor the engineering team responsible for the SmartPCAP product for Corelight’s virtual and physical sensors.
- Lead development process for the SmartPCAP team, including sprint planning and retrospectives, code-reviews, code style guidelines and mentoring team members.
- Have regular one on one meetings with direct reports, grow their skill sets, and motivate them to excel in their careers.
- Lead the evolution of this exciting new product to maximize its market potential.
- Work with other engineering teams to coordinate work, identify dependencies, and track deliverables.
- Implement and test new features using modern techniques and best practices.
- Develop and cultivate a devops style of development, where engineers are expected to develop, test, and support their software (with assistance from Quality Engineering and Customer Support).
- Collaborate with our product and design teams to develop and launch attractive solutions for novel functionality.
- Partner with our platform and QA teams to improve architecture and ensure quality and responsiveness of the solution.
- Strong appreciation and support for our core values: low ego results, tireless service, and applied curiosity.
- Deep understanding for managing a production focussed, enterprise software engineering team and all that entails.
- A demonstrated history of creating, leading, and scaling Engineering teams
- Experience leading adoption & use of Agile development methodologies.
- 5+ years experience delivering Enterprise, Security, or Network products.
- Experience in developing software for networking devices
- Experience working with storage
- Experience with physical and virtual appliances
- Knowledge of network protocols and network security.
- 7+ years of software development on Unix-style platforms
- Experience with IDS/IPS systems preferred
- Experience with Zeek, Suricata highly preferred
- Experience with scalable configuration management architectures and practices preferred
- Experience programming in at least one popular systems-oriented programming language (such as Python, Go, Rust, C, or C++)
- Experience with cloud native technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, etc.) preferred
- Experience with configuration management systems (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, …)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong desire to have fun and be part of a winning team!
We understand that no candidate is perfectly qualified for any job. Experience comes in different forms; many skills are transferable; and passion goes a long way. Even more important than your resume is clear demonstration of skill, dedication, and the ability to thrive in a fluid and collaborative environment. We want you to learn new things in this role, and we encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we’re looking for.
Diversity of background and thought makes for better problem solving and more creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team.