Software Developer Co-Op (Capture)

Expected Start Date: Sept 2024

Length: 8 - month Co-Op term 

As one of BC’s Top Employers (2023), Canada’s Top Growing Companies (2023), and Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures (2023), Copperleaf is a dynamic and disruptive high-tech organization offering exciting opportunities for growth and innovation.

Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, Copperleaf is building a better world, one decision at a time. The Copperleaf Decision Analytics Solution helps some of the world’s largest firms make better strategic decisions through data analytics and optimization. We have a track record of delivering award-winning, industry-changing solutions. Join our team as we continue to enable our clients to build more resilient and sustainable infrastructure.

The Opportunity:

We are looking for a talented Software Developer Co-op to join our Capture Team; a cross-functional team of collaborative, enthusiastic, and supportive individuals dedicated to delivering exceptional value to our clients. Currently, the team is focused on spearheading an exciting new initiative to complement Copperleaf's current offerings.

You’ll be responsible for:

• Collaborating with team members on planning, design, development, code reviews, and testing.
  • Contributing to the development of new features, shared components, and maintenance of existing features.
  • Working on a variety of tasks to help the team meet delivery goals.
  • Working with team members to discover ways to continually improve, from our products to our team processes.

What experience will you gain?

This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to the following:

• Developing sophisticated, web-based applications with a C# and Oracle relational database.
  • Design, implementation, review, and testing of software components.
  • Development of both server-side and web UI components.
  • Front-end development technologies (HTML5, Angular, CSS3, TypeScript, and RESTful APIs).
  • Using AI tools to support your programming and overall work experience.
  • Unit, Integration, and End-to-end Automated Testing, as well as manual quality assurance.
  • Coding best practices.
  • Working in a cross-functional team.
  • Agile Methodologies (Scrum)

About You:

You have the following background, but we also recognize that talent comes in many forms:

• You are a 3rd or 4th year computing science or engineering student with previous software development experience.
  • You have experience with object-oriented languages, relational databases, web technologies and front-end components.
  • You have experience with source control (Git) and programming languages such as TypeScript, C#, HTML, CSS.
  • You are self-motivated, flexible, pragmatic, proactive, and able to handle a variety of tasks.
  • You are a great team member and have interpersonal skills including teamwork, respect, courtesy, and discretion.
  • You are curious to learn and open to sharing your ideas.
  • You have strong written and verbal communication skills with experience working in a team environment.

We're not hung up on how much experience you may have with a specific programming language or technology. However, we like to see skill, passion and creativity in the work and projects you've completed.

What are we looking for?

Here are some tips about what our hiring managers look for during Co-Op recruitment. 

1. A well-written cover letter (recommended) - We use cover letters to learn more about you and how your skills, knowledge, and experience make you a good candidate for our role and our company. This is your chance to stand out and help us see who you are beyond what you can list on a resume. 
  2. Extracurricular activities (optional) - If you are involved in extra-curricular activities, please share them in your resume and cover letter. Hearing about these allows us to understand more about who you are. 
  3. Transcripts (optional) - Just like extracurricular activities, if you have one feel free to upload yours. Non-official transcripts are perfect. We know there's more to like than grades, but they're part of the picture. 
  4. A bespoke application (required) - At Copperleaf, we love artificial intelligence. In fact, we have our own in-house AI tools and strongly encourage our teams to utilize them! However, we're not looking for AI-generated cover letters and resumes. We want to see your writing style and learn more about you. Note, we don't use AI for reviewing resumes and applications. 

What Our Co-ops Are Saying

"Copperleaf provided me with an excellent overall co-op experience. The job involved a wide variety of interesting challenges as well as great people to work with and learn from. I would highly recommend considering Copperleaf for a rewarding and memorable work term."

-Jeff, previous Software Developer Co-op

"As a software developer co-op student with Copperleaf, I was able to rapidly learn and hone a variety of skills. My co-workers provided an enriching working and learning environment, and I was also given a great amount of independence on the projects I completed."

-Yuqing, previous Software Developer Co-op

"I enjoyed my co-op work term here a lot. I had the opportunity to work on a complete feature from server-side functionality to front-end functionality. When I first started at Copperleaf, I was eased into the role with relevant tasks and training that allowed me to build my knowledge on the application before diving into more complicated problems and tasks. I was also able to work with a great team of people. Everyone is very friendly and eager to help or provide suggestions to improve the application from both a development and user perspective. We also knew how to have fun with foosball tournaments and pizza parties. I am thankful I had the opportunity to work in such an amazing environment!"

- David, previous Software Developer Co-op

Visit www.copperleaf.com to learn more about our people and company.

Apply for this Job

* Required
resume chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
cover_letter chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review
+ Add another education

Our system has flagged this application as potentially being associated with bot traffic. Please turn off any VPNs, clear your browser cache and cookies, or try submitting your application in a different browser. If this issue persists, please reach out to our support team via our help center.
Please complete the reCAPTCHA above.