CookUnity is the first ever chef-to-consumer platform. Connecting a diverse group of talented chefs with busy food lovers, we’re elevating the at-home dining experience. On a quest to unlock the world’s best food creators and bring their meals to the masses, CookUnity is home to more than 35 of NYC and LA’s most talented chefs. Through a weekly subscription, consumers can select from a robust and ever-changing menu of handcrafted meals that cater to a wide variety of palates and dietary preferences.
Delivering more than 3.5M meals per year and growing 5x YoY, CookUnity is also helping Chefs double their income and build their own teams under their personal brands.
Believing that healthy food fuels stronger communities, CookUnity contributes to an ongoing partnership and donation with the Food Bank For New York City, the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty across all five boroughs.
A growing startup with kitchens in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, CookUnity reaches subscribers throughout the country, with ambitious expansion planned for 2021.
What we're looking for
We are looking for a Director of Research & Insights who is passionate about understanding human behavior, motivations, and habits. You have significant experience leading research efforts for consumer marketplace or e-commerce products and understand how to evangelize a user-centered approach across an organization. The ideal candidate is a leader with management experience and expert-level knowledge of the most up-to-date human-centered research methods.
The Director of Research & Insights will build a top-tier research organization that provides thought leadership for CookUnity and supports needs across multiple disciplines, such as product development, marketing, brand, and customer experience. You will build empathy and customer understanding to drive action and deliver business value.
You will report to our VP of Product Design and be responsible UX and Market Research, driving insights across our entire organization. Starting with one direct report (a Sr UX Researcher who has been with the company over a year), you will have a goal to grow the team and the practice over time. You’ll collaborate with key stakeholders, product managers, designers, brand managers, marketers and our customer experience team. You will also be a leader in the design organization, gathering the most important insights that drive company-wide design initiatives.
Your users will be both customers (eaters) and chefs. As a chef marketplace, we believe that both types of users need to be well understood. You can hear more about some of our practices on the UserTesting Human Insights podcast
This is a full-time hire.
- Lead and grow a world-class customer-obsessed research practice, focused on finding the most important insights and quickly driving action.
- Proactively identify, define, prioritize, and deliver high-value customer research initiatives that align with our key business strategies and objectives.
- Partner with cross-functional teams such as digital product management, product design, product development, marketing, menu merchandising, and brand to develop research strategies and recommendations that support their needs and business objectives.
- Develop detailed research plans that outline opportunity statements, research objectives, business goals, customer hypotheses, measures of success, and recommended methods and deliverables.
- Lead and oversee the execution of research activities and deliverables across the company, using the latest proven methodologies and tools to identify new, high-impact product improvement opportunities and to quickly and effectively deliver impactful insights.
- Communicate research findings and insights to cross-functional partners and executive leadership in a clear, concise, and compelling manner that drives action.
- Develop and refine a flexible and scalable program for ongoing research to build a continual understanding of our customers.
- Conduct market research that supports our efforts in brand positioning, market segmentation, and journey mapping.
- Lead e-commerce usability research strategies including website optimization, design and copy exploration, and A/B testing.
- Lead the practice in delivering best-in-class quality final research deliverables such as personas, prioritized recommendations, experience strategies, customer journey maps, empathy maps, and other research deliverables.
- Work closely with product managers to define and ensure project/feature success.
- Clearly communicate customer insights and high-impact opportunities to cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
- 7+ years of experience conducting and studying research.
- 3+ years directly managing, coaching and developing full-time researchers.
- You have experience with consumer products, consumer insights, or product development.
- You have directly managed across different research methodologies.
- You have experience directly conducting primary research (either qualitative or quantitative) end-to-end (i.e., designing, fielding, analyzing and reporting out data).
- You have experience building teams over time through hiring, growing, and retaining high-performing researchers.
- You have experience building and setting research strategy that connects with business strategy.
- You have a track record of translating research into business impact.
- You have experience working with a variety of cross-functional peers and stakeholders (e.g., executive teams, product managers, designers, engineers, marketing, etc).
- You have extensive experience with remote testing tools.
- You have the ability to quickly and effectively share research results with the right teams, resulting in action.
- You have a strong desire for creative problem-solving with a positive attitude.
- You have excellent attention to detail.
- You have experience working closely with product managers and engineers to deliver the highest quality user experience.
- You stay on-top of the latest and best tools and techniques, and constantly share your knowledge with your team.
- You enjoy working in small teams in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Masters or Doctorate degree a bonus.
Health Insurance coverage.
Stock Options plan.
Access to a nutritional coach to help you build a healthy lifestyle.
- Compassionate, Caregiver, or Bereavement Leave: 3 – 5 days each time the need arises.
- Parental Leave: 12 weeks at full pay for primary caregiver and 4 weeks for secondary caregiver.
A generous amount of CookUnity credits to enjoy our amazing meals, added to your account, monthly.
Flexible schedule and remote work opportunities available within the calendar year.
Awesome opportunity to join a company that is looking to change how we eat and how chefs work!
If you’re interested in this role, please submit your application and if we think you might be a fit, we'll get in touch with you. Thank you for your time!