CookUnity is the first ever chef-to-consumer platform. Connecting a diverse group of talented chefs with busy food lovers, we’re elevating the at-home dining experience. On a quest to unlock the world’s best food creators and bring their meals to the masses, CookUnity is home to more than 35 of NYC and LA’s most talented chefs. Through a weekly subscription, consumers can select from a robust and ever-changing menu of handcrafted meals that cater to a wide variety of palates and dietary preferences.
Delivering more than 3.5M meals per year and growing 5x YoY, CookUnity is also helping Chefs double their income and build their own teams under their personal brands.
Believing that healthy food fuels stronger communities, CookUnity contributes to an ongoing partnership and donation with the Food Bank For New York City, the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty across all five boroughs.
A growing startup with kitchens in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, CookUnity reaches subscribers throughout the country, with ambitious expansion planned for 2021.
Your Team - The Chef OS Zone
The CookUnity ChefOS is all of the tools, processes, and physical support that our chefs need to deliver their best meals every day of the week. We believe the best chefs are masters of their craft, and CookUnity aspires to be the best place for them to perform that craft. The ChefOS will enable them at scale.
CookUnity’s customers expect the best quality and variety, and our chefs are masters of delivering on that. The ChefOS Zone is responsible for making that happen every day through smart software, good process, and aligned incentives that drive behavior for the best possible experience for our customers.
Some of the best Chefs in America will be your close collaborators. Not only CookUnity's "rising stars", but also the well-known Chefs we've partnered with this year as part of our Creators Club (e.g. Pierre Thiam, Esther Choi, JJ Johnson, Ali Maffucci, Marc Forgione, Einat Admony, and more!).
The Role - Director, Engineering
The Director of Engineering for the ChefOS Zone is highly cross functional, and you'll be collaborating with leaders from across the organization. This leadership position will oversee three squads (with more soon), enabling us to take all the orders placed each week by our customers, get the freshest ingredients into the hands of the chefs at the right moment, give the chefs the intel they need to make the best meals, and package up and deliver those meals with world-class reliability. We are rapidly growing our kitchens, customers, and chefs, so this person needs to be able to think in incredible detail, while also zooming out to know how what we are putting in place will scale nationally (and, in time, internationally). You’ll set the bar and mentor tech leads on how to do this for their squads.
As a leader of the ChefOS Zone, you’ll partner with product, design, and data leadership, as well as leaders in Operations, Chef Success, and in the local markets to establish the product strategy, OKRs, and roadmap.
- Collaborate with your team to define the product roadmap.
- Develop and mentor leaders.
- Participate in hiring across squads.
- Monitor development velocity.
- Design and implement process improvements to raise quality and velocity.
- Develop Zone Objectives and Key Results.
You’re a great fit because you...
- Are highly independent.
- Have a strong ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Act with urgency and ownership to shape a successful environment for your team.
- Enjoy the pace and ownership that comes with a startup environment.
- Are excited about developing leaders.
and you have experience with...
- Designing and building in a cloud architecture.
- Collaborating with team members with varying technical skill sets.
- Implementing change approval processes to ensure reliable coordination across teams where necessary.
- Best practices in instrumentation to enable effective and efficient monitoring in production.
- Implementing features iteratively to deliver value more quickly, with higher quality, and with fewer conflicts.
- Collaborating with other teams to deliver complex features impacting multiple parts of a large system.
Health Insurance coverage.
Stock Options plan.
Access to a nutritional coach to help you build a healthy lifestyle.
- Compassionate, Caregiver, or Bereavement Leave: 3 – 5 days each time the need arises.
- Parental Leave: 12 weeks at full pay for primary caregiver and 4 weeks for secondary caregiver.
A generous amount of CookUnity credits to enjoy our amazing meals, added to your account, monthly.
Flexible schedule and remote work opportunities available within the calendar year.
Awesome opportunity to join a company that is looking to change how we eat and how chefs work!
If you’re interested in this role, please submit your application and if we think you might be a fit, we'll get in touch with you. Thank you for your time!