About the opportunity
We are looking for a high-energy, bright individual to help oversee the Global payroll process for our approximately 750 employees. This role will be responsible for the review of the recurring global processing, accounting, reconciliation, analysis and compliance associated with U.S. payroll. We’re looking for a minimum of 7 years’ experience in managing payroll. An ideal candidate will be someone who is a game-changer and will take charge of the entire Global payroll, continually drive process improvement, and be an expert payroll resource for the entire company. If you have the experience and motivation to oversee this business-critical process and the desire to grow quickly within the Contentful organization, this is the position for you!
What to expect?
- Effectively build, lead and manage the team, consisting of a staff today of two, consistent with Contentful values. Leverage world class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver against the responsibilities and objectives of the function.
- Accurate, timely, and efficient processing, calculating and payment of payroll and related compensation expenses. Will be responsible for the preparation of the payroll analytic, review metrics and timely delivery/approval of pay file(s) to OSV via Workday.
- Oversee and review all payroll entries prepared by the Payroll team which includes but is not limited to gifts, one-time payments, term checks, LOA entries, 401K and other integrations, etc.
- Administer the LOA process from the payroll prospective by effectively tracking all payroll adjustments as well as collect benefit premiums owed while employees are on leave.
- Strong understanding of payroll mobility and tax issues globally. This person will be the main point of contact for all expatriate and inpatriate transactions. Responsible for tracking of all expat benefits and assisting with the year-end tax equalization process.
- Responsible for the timely preparation and calculation of any off-cycle processing in all regions, i.e., termination pay, special bonuses, transition allowances, etc.
- Lead company and department initiatives to drive process improvements within the payroll department.
- Collaborate with key partners throughout the organization to ensure accurate recording of all payroll input.
- Responsible for reconciling all year end forms and filings for all regions to ensure accurate entry of all compensation transactions (i.e. gifts, prizes, education assistance, equity, etc.).
- Effective, accurate and timely completion of all assigned month-end responsibilities such as reporting, JE support and flux analysis.
- Support internal and external auditors’ requests, including research and analysis of audit requests.
- Process all equity related transactions ensuring accurate reporting and statutory filings.
- Maintain appropriate internal control requirements and narratives, including maintenance of documentation for payroll related processes and providing recommendations, as appropriate.
- Ensure all payroll related tax and statutory filings are compliant within all jurisdictions of all regions
- Perform at a Meets or Exceeds expectations level for all specific duties outlined above.
- Have the technical knowledge and experience to be able to satisfactorily achieve the specific duties outlined above. Understand the accounting and tax implications from a payment level to the general ledger level.
- Prompt and courteous customer service to all employee levels.
What you need to be successful?
- BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPP certification a strongly preferred
- 5 or more years relevant work experience
- 10 or more years of relevant payroll work experience including managing a comprehensive payroll process including effectively managing direct reports.
- Experience with multi-state and international Payrolls (Germany preferred) larger than 1,000 employees with multiple classifications. i.e. Salary non-exempt, working students, foreign workers, etc.
- Experience with public companies or pre-public companies with share-based employee income reporting
- Experience with executing complex benefits programs within payroll
- Experience with automated human resources and payroll systems; Workday, Cloudpay, and OSV
- Experience with recurring metrics tracking and analysis a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong system and data flow knowledge. Ability to learn and adapt to new flows and software technologies.
- Strong analytical, research, problem solving and evaluative thinking skills.
- Acute attention to detail
- Well-developed sense of urgency and follow through.
- Must be self-motivated, flexible, deadline-oriented and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards and unwavering integrity.
- High-functioning, working knowledge of relevant payroll related standards, codes, GAAP, regulations and other related requirements.
- Proven global payroll multinational experience.
- Strong communication skills - including ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations.
- Strong work ethic, including the ability to work independently, but also knows how to have fun while doing it!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed by the employees assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified.
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days.
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave to care for and focus on your growing family
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- New hire office equipment stipend. Get the gear you need to work at your best.
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
Colorado Salary Range: $125,000-$129,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards, annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s variable compensation plans.]
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.